Factor in keeping 'good order' of genes discovered
- Refining IOLs and Surgical Technique for Better Vision. Blecher, Mark H. // Review of Ophthalmology;May2008, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p60
The article presents researches related to medical innovations on cataract surgery. Researchers from Alcon company have introduced the artificial eye with average spherical and chromatic aberration in determining the stray lights caused by various multifocal intraocular lenses. Further, a group...
- Magic Eggs and the Frontier of Stem Cell Science. Insoo Hyun // Hastings Center Report;Mar/Apr2006, Vol. 36 Issue 2, p16
Discusses the controversy on a research being done by Doctor Woo Suk Hwang and colleagues at Seoul National University in South Korea regarding the transformation of human eggs through the wonder of somatic cell nuclear transfer. Findings by Korean investigators on the research; Response of...
- Heart of the atom. Sutton, Christine // New Scientist;7/8/95, Vol. 147 Issue 1985, Inside Science p1
Focuses on the various theories given by physicists to explain the nucleus of an atom. Details on discovery and composition of nucleus; Concept of magic numbers and the shell model; Cluster model. INSET: Fission and fusion..
- Study of Mechanisms of Cumulative-Proton Production in Neutrino-Nucleus Interactions. Agababyan, N. M.; Ajvazyan, G.; Ammosov, V. V.; Atayan, M.; Grigoryan, N.; Gulkanyan, G.; Ivanilov, A. A.; Karamyan, G.; Korotkov, V. A. // Physics of Atomic Nuclei;Sep2002, Vol. 65 Issue 9, p1628
The mechanisms of cumulative proton production are studied on the basis of data from the S CAT propane-freon bubble chamber exposed to a wideband neutrino beam at the Serpukhov accelerator. Kinematic correlations between the cumulative proton and muon, as well as pair correlations of the final...
- Investigation of Quasimolecular States in [sup 24]Mg[sup *] through the Analysis of the Angular da Correlations in the [sup 12]C([sup 14]N, d)[sup 24]Mg(a)[sup 20]Ne Reaction. Belyaeva, T. L.; Zelenskaya, N. S.; Aguero Granados, M. // Physics of Atomic Nuclei;Sep2002, Vol. 65 Issue 9, p1616
Theoretical analysis of the differential cross sections and angular correlation functions in the [sup 12]C([sup 14]N, d)[sup 24]Mg[sup *](a)[sup 20]Ne reaction at the energy of the incident nitrogen ions E[sub lab] = 29-42 MeV is performed in the models of the direct transfer of [sup 12]C...
- Swimming against the current. Margulis, Lynn; Dolan, Michael F. // Sciences;Jan/Feb97, Vol. 37 Issue 1, p20
Discusses the evolution of nucleated living cells and the evolutionary change called symbiogenesis. Explanation of cell reproduction and movement; Evolutionary theory of Harold Kirby; Reconstruction of the history of bacterial symbiosis.
- Hello Dolly. Bronson, Rebecca; Kowalski, Kathiann M. // Odyssey;Feb98, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p12
Explains how nuclear transfer was used to clone sheep. Differentiation of the cells; German scientist Hans Spemann's discovery of cells directing development of a normal embryo; Mammals in vitro fertilization; Implantation into a surrogate mother; Use of a nucleus from an adult in cloning sheep.
- A step towards cloned kidneys. Polak, Monika // GP: General Practitioner;6/17/2002, p63
Reports the success of U.S. scientists in creating working kidneys from cloned cow embryos. Transfer of a cell nucleus from the donor animal into an egg from the recipient; Scientific evidence that cloned tissues can be transplanted back into animals; Disapproval of U.S. and British laws to...
- Don't panic at dropped nucleus. Barrere, Michele // Ophthalmology Times;12/18/95, Vol. 20 Issue 48, p7
Presents the results of a study by Michael A. Kapusta, MD, on para plana vitrectomy for the management of dropped nucleus during phacoemulsification. Six recommendations for cataract surgeons.