SOPA Conflicts Bubble Up
- SOPA: Killing the Internet to save Hollywood. Sanchez, Julian // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;1/20/2012, p34
The author discusses Hollywood's hope that the U.S. Congress will pass the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) that would authorize the government to censor foreign Web sites.
- NOVEL "NEUTRALITY" CLAIMS AGAINST INTERNET PLATFORMS: A REASONABLE FRAMEWORK FOR INITIAL SCRUTINY. JAROSCH, JEFFREY // Cleveland State Law Review;2011, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p537
The article informs that the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and other enforcement agencies explore internet platforms which are inadequately network neutral for users and third parties. It evaluates internet platforms on the basis of search neutrality, Application Programming Interfaces (API)...
- THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE NOT FREE: WHY IMMUNITY UNDER SECTION 230 OF THE COMMUNICATIONS DECENCY ACT SHOULD BE EARNED AND NOT FREELY GIVEN. Spiccia, Patricia // Valparaiso University Law Review;Fall2013, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p369
The article focuses on section 230 of the U.S. Communications Decency Act (CDA), which grants immunity to Internet service providers (ISPs). Topics include redress for reputational harm, the removal of unconsented content from websites, and defamation law in the U.S. Information is provided on...
- 2012 State of the Law Regarding Internet Intermediary Liability for User-Generated Content. Gellis, Catherine R. // Business Lawyer;Nov2012, Vol. 68 Issue 1, p289
The article discusses the U.S. laws governing Internet intermediary liability for user-generated content in 2012, focusing on an analysis of the America's Communications Decency Act (Section 230) and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and their impact on video-hosting websites....
- SOPA: stop me if you've heard this before. Tanner, John C. // Telecom Asia;Dec2011/Jan2012, Vol. 22 Issue 10, p6
The article offers the author's insights on the Protect IP Act or Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), an internet regulation for intellectual property protection. The author states that so much of the anti-piracy bill is so familiar and web sites to be prosecuted under SOPA were not clearly stated....
- Web Firms Win Anti-Piracy Victory. // Multichannel News;1/23/2012, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p3
The article reports that Nevada senator Harry Reid has announced that he had decided not to hold a vote that would have paved the way for considering PROTECT IP Act (PIPA) in the U.S. Senate. As stated, PIPA had already passed out of its U.S. Senate committee with overwhelming support and Stop...
- The Case for Net Neutrality. Ammori, Marvin // Foreign Affairs;Jul/Aug2014, Vol. 93 Issue 4, p62
The article discusses the reported problems with U.S. President Barack Obama's Internet policy as of July 2014, focusing on a push for net neutrality in America. According to the article, the concept of net neutrality holds that Internet Service Providers (ISPs) should not offer preferential...
- McAdams On: Title II. MCADAMS, DEBORAH D. // TV Technology;2/18/2015, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p6
The article focuses on the plans of Tom Wheeler, chairman of the U.S. FCC (Federal Communications Commission), to impose Title II Order regarding network neutrality on Internet Service Providers (ISP).
- FCC Approves Policy Of 'Net Neutrality'. MOLNAR, MICHELE // Education Week;3/4/2015, Vol. 34 Issue 23, p4
The article reports that the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has approved new rules on net neutrality that will regulate high-speed broadband providers like utilities.