KAG Rail keeps a grip on safety at sea
- Safe boating is your life preserver. Alves, Christopher D. // All Hands;Jun96, Issue 950, p34
Presents tips on boating safety measures in the United States. Amount of alcohol which makes one legally impaired on the road and on the water; Federal regulations on life jackets; Safety courses from the US Coast Guard; `Federal Requirements and Safety Tips for Recreational Boats,' pamphlet.
- Storm warning. // Field & Stream;Apr92, Vol. 96 Issue 12, p34
Gives children helpful hints if they should find themselves on a boat with a storm approaching. Get into a safe and sheltered place; When you see a flash of lightning, count slowly; For every five counts before a clap of thunder, the storm is onemile away; The greater the numbers the greater...
- Fire down below. // Yachting;Jul86, Vol. 171 Issue 1, p36
Boat fires, their prevention, detection, fire fighting equipment, maintenance and inspection.
- Prevention and preparation ideas. // Yachting;Dec86, Vol. 171 Issue 6, p32
Discussion of ideas to prevent a man over-board situation when sailing. Grablines, jacklines, lifelines, safety harness tethers.
- Fire extinguishers: Location location location. Prater, Layne // Yachting;Sep94, Vol. 176 Issue 3, p20
Discusses fire extinguishers on boats and advises memorizing the exact location of every fire extinguisher aboard your boat. Why the small interior of a boat makes fire and smoke more dangerous than in a house; Where to mount extinguishers.
- Gambling with hurricanes. Coyle, Jay // Yachting;Nov95, Vol. 178 Issue 5, p27
Narrates the author's experience while securing a yacht during a hurricane. Use of cords and duct tapes; Screwing of scraps of plywood; Aftermath survey.
- Under the covers. // Yachting;Jan96, Vol. 179 Issue 1, p38
Presents information on the correct ways to cover a boat. Proper ventilation the key to successful storage; Details.
- The need for lifejackets. Barthold, Charles // Yachting;Feb96, Vol. 179 Issue 2, p7
Focuses on the importance of having lifejackets aboard boats and other vessels. Why this is important; Details of situations of importance of lifejackets.
- Crude planning: Some ways to get into trouble. Wheeler, Dave // Yachting;Mar96, Vol. 179 Issue 3, p33
Lists some ways in which sea cruisers may get into trouble and some ways to avoid it. Over planning; Starting with a long-water passage; Failure to check engines and running gear every morning.