Zoning the Oceans: Using the National Marine Sanctuaries Act and the antiquities Act to Establish Marine Protection Areas and Marine Reserves in America
- MLPA: A Proactive Approach to North Coast Marine Protection. Savage, Jennifer // Econews;Oct/Nov2011, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p8
The article focuses on California's Marine Life Protection Act under which fishermen, conservationists, educators and bird lovers have created a plan for a network of marine protected areas from Alder Creek to the Oregon border in Oregon mentions creation of a chain of marine protected areas.
- Life Insurance. Mascarelli, Amanda // Audubon;Jul/Aug2012, Vol. 114 Issue 4, p50
The article features the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) that required the creation of a statewide array of marine protected areas along the 1,100-mile coastline of California by the California Department of Fish and Game, passed in 1999. With the help of Dave Jensen, enforcement officer at...
- The National Marine Sanctuaries Act: A Love Affair. Causey, Billy // Solutions: For a Sustainable & Desirable Future;Jan/Feb2011, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p23
The author discusses the impact of the designation of the national marine sanctuaries under the Marine Protection, Research and Sanctuaries Act of 1972. He states that the act when fully implemented could protect the resources of a sanctuary for future generations. He highlights that the act...
- Long-awaited Marine Bill gains royal assent. // ENDS (Environmental Data Services);Nov2009, Issue 418, p44
The article focuses on the Marine and Coastal Access Act in Great Britain. Under the Marine Bill, a marine management organization (MMO) will be introduced and marine conservation zones (MCZs) will be created. Comments from Sharon Thompson of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB)...
- Wet Wilderness: America's Marine Sanctuaries. Walsh, Don // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Jun2000, Vol. 126 Issue 6, p89
Reports on the protection of the marine sanctuaries in the United States. Provisions of the 1972 Marine Protection, Research and Sanctuaries Act; United States National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's implementation of the law; Budget allocation for the sanctuaries.
- President announces $183 million for protecting oceans and coasts. // Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society;Mar1999, Vol. 80 Issue 3, p489
Reports on the appropriation of $183 million by the Clinton administration for the protection of oceans and coasts. Initiative to expand national marine sanctuaries; Promotion of `smart growth' strategies along the United States coasts.
- Evaluating Ocean Protection. Mengerink, Kathryn // Environmental Forum;Jul/Aug2014, Vol. 31 Issue 4, p22
The article focuses on the significance of marine protected area laws understanding to policymakers for coastal zone and sea preservation and protection in the U.S. The specific state statutes on creating protected areas such as multi-site adaptive programs and single-site designations are...
- EU fisheries policy makes loophole in Marine Bill. // ENDS (Environmental Data Services);Jul2009, Issue 414, p59
The article reports on the concern raised by Members of Parliament involving the coverage of the Marine Bill on marine conservation zones (MCZ). British legislators claim that the legislation on fishing activities will damage MCZs. It discusses the association of the European Union Common...
- Administration Actions to Protect the Ocean. // Congressional Digest;Sep2014, Vol. 93 Issue 7, p10
The article discusses how the administration of U.S. President Barack Obama is working to improve the ocean conservation and preservation with the National Ocean Policy. Topics include plans to expand the Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument in the south-central Pacific Ocean, efforts...