Inconsistent Legal Treatment of Unwanted Sexual Advances: A Study of the Homosexual Advance Defense, Street Harassment, and Sexual Harassment in the Workplace
- One Little Word. Burda, Joan M. // GPSolo;Jan/Feb2010, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p4
The article discusses the author's views regarding sexual harassment laws in the U.S. She points out that the laws passed by the Congress are just ways to run off the legislation and that some think that sexual harassment and discrimination can still exist in the workplace. Moreover, she notes...
- Title IX: Responding to sexual harassment and violence incidents. Smith, Gina Maisto; Gomez, Leslie M. // University Business;Mar2014, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p18
The author reflects on the issue of sexual misconduct, usually seen in college campuses. Topics discussed include the impact of sexual harassment and sexual violence on institutions, a need for schools to create a safe environment for constituents to discuss emotional and incendiary issues, and...
- FEDERAL REGISTER. // Federal Register;12/24/2014, Vol. 79 Issue 247, preceding p77357
The article presents several notices, proposed rules and regulations and other presidential documents from various U.S. government agencies including the Agriculture, Energy and Labor Departments, as of December 24, 2014. Topics include sexual abuse and sexual harassment, greenhouse gas...
- CIVIL RIGHTS: JUST A TRIM? Stewart, David O. // ABA Journal;Aug89, Vol. 75 Issue 8, p40
Discusses a cluster of United States Supreme Court rulings in June 1989 on various civil rights cases. Increased burden of proof on some civil-rights plaintiffs; Elimination of certain civil-rights causes of action; Parties that may challenge consent decrees in civil-rights cases.
- Property Rights and First Amendment Rights: Balance and Conflict. Henely, Bernard D. // American Bar Association Journal;Jan1976, Vol. 62 Issue 1, p76
Examines several approaches used by courts in resolving conflicts between First Amendment rights and property rights in the United States. Determination of nature of property; Relationship between expressive activity and property use; Availability of alternative public forums.
- Women's rights and social wrongs. Rhode, Deborah L. // Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy;Winter91, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p13
Discusses the inadequacies of civil rights law with respect to gender equality. Indeterminacy of formal entitlements; Barriers to the exercise of women's rights; Limitations upon the scope of civil rights law; Reasons behind the continued marginalization of women's interests; Limitations of...
- Got a hugger on your hands? He spells trouble. // HR Specialist: Illinois Employment Law;Sep2012, Vol. 6 Issue 9, p1
The article focuses on the sexual harassment policy in the U.S. and discusses the case of a customer service representative at mass media and communications company Comcast Corp.
- WHAT THEY SAID. // American Bar Association Journal;Nov81, Vol. 67 Issue 11, p1438
Presents several quotes and remarks that may be of interest to people in the legal profession. U.S. Senator Howard Metzenbaum's response to Justice Department civil rights policies; Securities lawyer Michael Klein's response to U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission's plan to set an ethical...
- Reflections on Constitutionalizing Women's Equality. Case, Mary Anne // California Law Review;May2002, Vol. 90 Issue 3, p765
Reflects on the history of constitutionalizing women's equality in the U.S. Development of the constitutional law of sex discrimination in the country; Information on the legislative debates that led to the prohibition of sex discrimination under Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act; Cases...