Washington State's Lumber History and Forest Products Industry
- A cut above. Tickell, Oliver // New Scientist;07/04/98, Vol. 159 Issue 2141, p10
Reports that a way to saw logs called star-cutting produces stronger timber and reduces waste. Technique developed by the Royal College of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden; Description of the star-cut technique; Why star-cut boards are stronger than conventionally cut boards; Efficiency of...
- The sawmill industry in Galicia, 1856-1935. BOQUETE, EDUARDO RICO // Historia Agraria;abr2014, Issue 62, p5
An English- and Spanish-language abstract is presented for an article on the sawmill industry in Galicia, Spain.
- Potential for small-diameter sawtimber utilization by the current sawmill industry in Western North America. WAGNER[a], FRANCIS G.; KEEGAN[a], CHARLES E.; FIGHT, ROGER D.; WILLITS[a], SUSAN // Forest Products Journal;Sep98, Vol. 48 Issue 9, p30
Offers a look at a study that determined the value of small-diameter sawtimber delivered to sawmills in Western North America. Methods of the study; Results of the study; Conclusions.
- No old-growth needed. Clark, Earl // American Forests;Nov/Dec93, Vol. 99 Issue 11/12, p45
Reports on the development of a sawmill able to handle thin logs. Non-dependence on old trees; President Bill Clinton's forest summit; Longview Fiber Company; Clearcutting of timber; Description of the milling company; High-quality wood; Computerized sales program; Number of employees; Forest...
- BSW Timber invest in mill. // Builders Merchants Journal;Mar2002, p6
Reports on the investment program of BSW Timber PLC for its sawmills in Great Britain. Equipment and systems; Objective of the program; Reasons for the investment at the mill in Carlisle, England.
- Green and Roughsawn. Langsner, Drew // Country Journal;May/Jun96, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p46
Discusses the advantages of buying lumbar directly from a sawmill. Types of sawmills available and their features; Lengths of logs and lumbers sold at sawmills; Why mills custom saw lumber; Tips on how to dispose of sawbust; How the strength of lumber is determined. INSET: Drying green wood..
- BSW Timber show off their friends in high places. // Builders Merchants Journal;Jan2002, p14
Reports on the opening of a sawmill in Riga, Latvia by BSW Timber. Guest at the opening of the sawmill; Information on the sawmill.
- Coushatta Sawmill Has New Life. // Southern Loggin' Times;Jun2013, Vol. 42 Issue 6, p27
The article reports that Boise-based Idaho Timber LLC will reopen a sawmill in Coushatta, Louisiana to create 90 jobs.
- Go Native! // British Woodworking;Jun2014, Issue 45, p45
In this article, the author discusses the challenges facing those using mobile sawmills to process British timber for the sale to woodworkers and also discusses the attitude of British woodworkers towards the use of native timber.