THE VERNACULAR HOUSES OF HARRAN AND CULTURAL HERITAGE - TURKEY
- A High-Rise Vernacular in Singapore's Housing Development Board Housing. Sishir Chang // Berkeley Planning Journal;2000, Vol. 14, p97
The article focuses on vernacular architecture and high-rise buildings in Singapore's Housing Development Board (HDB) Housing. This idea initially seems improbable as the nature of high rise housing violates the widely held conception of vernacular architecture as a quaint representation of the...
- EFFECTIVE HOUSING DESIGN. Joklova, V.; Bacova, A. // Volgogradskogo Gosudarstvennogo Arhitekturno-Stroitelnogo Univer;2012, Vol. 26 Issue 45, p193
Consideration of the effective housing design as the perspective of the most comfortable living conditions formation, based on the historical examples of traditional Slovak house. Elaboration of the effective housing design methodology using three key synergetic scenarios -- scenario-spatial...
- Casitas: Place and Culture. Aponte-Paré, Luis // Places: Forum of Design for the Public Realm;Winter97, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p52
The article provides information about the "casitas" or little house in New York. "Casistas" belong to a family of wooden, balloon-frame structures generally associated with Third World vernacular architecture. The "casitas" that were built in New York have specific roots in Puerto Rico. The...
- THE CHALLENGE OF SUSTAINABILITY IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES AND THE ADAPTATION OF HERITAGE-INSPIRED ARCHITECTURE IN CONTEXT. Yousuf, Wael A. // ArchNet-IJAR;2011, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p106
Despite the considerable contributions in the developing world relevant to the development of sustainable environments, the concept of sustainable architecture is yet not widely considered within most of the developing communities whose priority lies with the immediate resolutions of many...
- Building Power in Rural Hinterlands: An Ethnoarchaeological Study of Vernacular Architecture in Tigray, Ethiopia. Lyons, Diane // Journal of Archaeological Method & Theory;Jun2007, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p179
In Tigray, Ethiopia highland farmers and noblemen used a common vernacular architecture to build places of political authority and power during the last century of Ethiopia's feudal economy. This study contributes to the perspective that domestic houses are active political locales integrated...
- Paisley's facade classic yet elegant. // High Plains Journal;7/8/2013, Vol. 131 Issue 27, p16B
The article evaluates the Paisley (D2618) architectural design for traditional two-story homes from Landmark Designs Inc.
- Prairie sod houses of Nebraska. Leeke, John // Old House Journal;Jan/Feb94, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p84
Focuses on the prairie sod houses built by settlers in Nebraska. Use of grass sod as building materials; Provision of thermal mass for tempering the prairie climate; Average life of buildings.
- RESIDENTIAL. Kubany, Elizabeth Harrison // Architectural Record;Jul2001, Vol. 189 Issue 7, p165
Focuses on the influence of architectural traditions on residential vernacular architecture in the United States. Prevalence of tract housing and McMansions; Reinvention of vernacular architecture of the Pacific Northwest in the Blue Lake House; Definition of the cookie-cutter approach to housing.
- Analysis of Architectural Characteristics of Modern Villas in Mount Lu. Xiaoqiong Li; Leirong Zou // Applied Mechanics & Materials;2014, Issue 638-640, p2196
With modern villas in Mount Lu as the main research object, the author described and analyzed historical period, architectural style, construction technology, function positioning construction environment of villas in Mount Lu based on systematic investigation, revealed unique historical...