The Storm Before the CALM
- TBN to lose Miami station. // Christianity Today;1/8/96, Vol. 40 Issue 1, p69
Reports that Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN), Tustin, California, has lost the long-running dispute with the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) over television station ownership. Results of the November 06, 1995, ruling; What the FCC rules state.
- An Open Letter to Congress. FitzPatrick, Paul // CableFAX Daily;4/10/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 69, p10
Presents an open letter to the U.S. Congress about the a la carte mandate that gives cable television subscribers more options to save cost. Impact of the mandate on cable providers; Challenges to be faced by the Federal Communications Commission on implementing the mandate; Disadvantages posed...
- Cable Compromise. // Time;2/14/1972, Vol. 99 Issue 7, p67
The article focuses on the status of cable television (CATV) in the U.S. It mentions that CATV allows the viewer to have as many as 40 channels which offer various programs, such as ballet and sporting events. It notes that broadcasters considered CATV as a potential drain on their revenues in...
- Untitled. // Broadcasting & Cable;7/9/2001, Vol. 131 Issue 29, p4
Presents news updates concerning the cable television broadcasting industry in the United States as of July 9, 2001. U.S. Federal Communications Commission's Cable Services Bureau's completion of a first draft of proposed changes to cable ownership limits; Cable News Network's relaunch of the...
- FCC gets tough on TV spats. JOHNSON, TED // Daily Variety;8/2/2011, Vol. 312 Issue 17, p1
The article reports on the standstill rule created by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) which seeks to prevent cable operators from eliminating channels from their lineups in case of contract disputes with other cable networks.
- JULY '07 -- OCAP CONNECTION. Ellis, Leslie // Multichannel News;7/17/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 28, p79
This article discusses issues regarding the OpenCable Applications Platform (OCAP) launch and the July 1, 2007, deadline that bans operators from deploying digital set-top boxes with embedded security. The deployment of network support for a handful of systems to run OCAP in October 2006, is...
- Urban TV's Must-Carry Fight. Eggerton, John // Broadcasting & Cable;3/9/2009, Vol. 139 Issue 10, p3
The article reports that Bob Johnson of BET/RLJ Co. and Brandon Burgess of Ion Media is urging the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to promote transformation in the cable television networks through the Urban Television Network in the U.S. TV One network opposes the proposed development...
- Programmers. // CableFAX Daily;2/13/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 29, p1
Reports on the status of cable programming in the U.S. in 2006. Number of satellite-derived national programming networks identified by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission; Number of regional networks; Number of radio satellite networks.
- Random Notes. Maxwell, Paul // CableFAX Daily;2/13/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 29, p5
Comments on various issues in the cable industry in the U.S. in 2006. Coverage of the Olympics by cable television networks; Release of an a la carte study by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission.