Chicago Plans Layoffs, Refunding, Lease Arrangement to Cover Budget Deficit
- Chicago Budget Chief: Layoffs Likely to Close Deficit. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;8/04/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31691, p4
Reports on the likelihood of layoffs in Chicago, Illinois to close budget deficits. Amount of the deficit to be covered by layoffs; Reason for the deficit in the city's budget; Management initiatives implemented by the city government to avoid deficits.
- City looks to fill $33M hole for FY 2011 budget. // Inside Tucson Business;3/1/2010, Vol. 19 Issue 40, p3
The article reports on the move of the City of Tucson to consider layoffs to balance its budget for 2010-2011 and to make up a projected 33 million dollars shortfall.
- Paterson police furloughed, crime rate increases. Townes, Glenn // New York Amsterdam News;5/19/2011, Vol. 102 Issue 20, p4
The article reports on the dismissal of 125 police officers of Paterson after facing with a huge budget deficit, depressed local economy and record levels of unemployment in New Jersey in 2011.
- LATE NEWS. // Crain's Chicago Business;11/11/2002, Vol. 25 Issue 45, p1
Presents news relating to business in Chicago, Illinois as of November 11, 2002. Estimated amount of the state budget deficit by the end of 2004; Halt of labor concession talks between airlines company United Airlines and its mechanics; Rejection of a trade layoff by a union representing...
- Schools Largely Spared in Budget Slashing in Georgia. Bradley, Ann // Education Week;9/11/1991, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p14
The article reports on the impact of the budget cuts on the local school systems in Georgia. The legislature has approved to cut 2,189 state employees in order to make up for the 415 million deficit in Georgia's 7.54 billion budget. The state education department will lose about 8 percent of the...
- Economic downturn hurts country budgets. // American City & County;Nov2008, Vol. 123 Issue 11, p10
The article presents the findings of a survey on the impact of the ongoing economic downturn on budgets of counties in the U.S. in 2008, conducted by the National Association of Counties (NACo). According to NACo, many of the nation's largest counties are facing tighter budgets as a result of...
- Higher Education In Times Of Financial Distress: The Minnesota Experience. Severns, Roger // Journal of College Teaching & Learning;Apr2012, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p115
Like many states, Minnesota has incurred large budget deficits during the past two years. Those deficits have, in turn, led to changes in a number of areas of state government, particularly higher education. Faculty have incurred pay freezes and layoffs, programs have closed, and tuition...
- Learning Curve. Smith, Chris // New York;4/21/2003, Vol. 36 Issue 13, p20
Focuses on the problem faced by mayor Michael Bloomberg about the budget deficit in New York City. Obsession of the media and the public with the war in Iraq; Announcement of specific layoffs; Decision of the mayor to push through a property tax raise.
- Jobs cull planned to cut Scope's deficit. // Community Care;9/29/2005, Issue 1592, p6
Reports on the plan of charity Scope to initiate job cuts to control its budget deficit. Reason behind the job cuts according to the charity's executive management board; Divisions with employee redundancies; Areas where the charity is believed to be overspending.