Remembering a great disaster
- `To us, they're both the same.' Kubic, M.J. // Newsweek;10/24/1988, Vol. 112 Issue 17, p40
Report that Arabs are a growing force in Israeli electoral politics, and the 700,000 Arabs are now being wooed by both the right-wing Likud bloc and the center-left Labor party. Both parties, however, are careful not to upset Jewish voters. Election outlook.
- An Arab fascination with the forbidden. Ajami, F. // U.S. News & World Report;10/31/88, Vol. 105 Issue 17, p45
Opinion. Discusses the Arab fascination with Israel's democracy. Arab interest in November Israeli election; Possibility of reaching a verdict on the future of the West Bank and Gaza Strip; Palestinians.
- ARAB POLITICAL MOBILIZATION AND ISRAELI RESPONSES. Khalifa, Osama Fouad // Arab Studies Quarterly;Winter2001, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p15
Studies the Arab economic dependence on Jews and their resultant weakening position in Israeli society. Minority view in perspective; Background of Arab mobilization; Types of mobilization; Israeli Jewish responses to Israeli Arab politicization and mobilization and their situation as a...
- The PLO is open for business. Franke-Ruta, Garance // National Journal;4/25/98, Vol. 30 Issue 17, p950
Reports that the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) has reopened its office in Washington in 1998. Congressional support that permitted PLO to reestablish office; Staff members; Importance of PLO's refiling of lobbying registration.
- The Palestinians need a king. Arnold, P. // America;4/16/1988, Vol. 158 Issue 15, p397
Escalating tensions and hardening positions have made the time ripe for the emergence of a leader who will help recover an ancient sense of justice. The Israeli/Palestinian conflict; The security of Israel and the failure of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO); Israeli faith in `the...
- Toward a theory of Arab-Muslim women as activists in secular and religious movements. Fluehr-Lobban, Carolyn // Arab Studies Quarterly;Spring93, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p87
Examines the impact of social revolutionary movements such as the Islamic fundamentalist movement on women. Islam and the status of women; Arab society and the status of women; Western influence on women following colonization by Europe of the Middle East; Arab-Muslim women's activism in...
- PALESTINE-HAMAS. // Middle East Reporter (Daily Edition);1/18/2011, Vol. 195 Issue 5015, p11
The article reports on the contention of the Prime Minister of Hamas, Ismail Hanieh that Egypt will call Palestinian factions to resume negotiation for Palestinian reconciliation.
- Land for no peace. Feith, Douglas J. // Commentary;Jun94, Vol. 97 Issue 6, p32
Examines the undertakings made by Israel concerning its relation with the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO). Declaration of Principles (DOP); Unkept promises by the PLO with regards to the agreement; 'Land for Peace' policy of the Israel government; Sequence of steps essential to...
- Israel's Arab Community Boycotts Election. Slaney, Christopher // Washington Report on Middle East Affairs;Apr2001, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p9
Examines the boycott of the Israeli election for prime minister by the Arab community. Implication for the history of relations between the Arab community and the state of Israel; Percentage of the population taken up by the Arabs; Turnout of voters; Reasons for the Arab community's desertion...