THE SEVEN SKILLS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PASTORS
- Let's talk--but all of us! Scherer-Emunds, Meinrad // U.S. Catholic;Jun2002, Vol. 67 Issue 6, p50
Reports that several bishops have acknowledged the need for greater involvement of laypeople, especially victims, in decisions about sex-abuse allegations against priests. First task of such a synod; Steps taken by American cardinals to address the sexual abuse of children by priests.
- Two churches. McCarthy, Abigail // Commonweal;1/31/97, Vol. 124 Issue 2, p7
Presents the unbridged gap between the clergy and laypersons of the church. Role of the laity; What was the attitude given to the laity in the past; Why the Commonweal was banned in different Catholic campuses; Report written by Daniel Callahan, former Commonweal editor on the revolution of...
- Collaboration with women on the table for future document. Feuerherd, Joe // National Catholic Reporter;7/4/2003, Vol. 39 Issue 33, p4
Reports on the development of documents on topics by U.S. bishops ranging from collaboration between women and priests, agriculture, the theology of mission, to the formation of ecclesial lay ministers at their semi-annual meeting in June 2003. National consultation with women in diocesan...
- Untitled. // America;6/17/1911, Vol. 5 Issue 10, p233
The article reports that the Bishop of London received an open letter from a perplexed layman of the Church of England. In the letter, the layman express his fear that the erection of stands for the viewing of the coronation procession and their accompanying box-offices in the precincts of...
- The Problems of Peacemaking. Kennedy, William V. // America;6/18/1966, Vol. 114 Issue 25, p855
The author analyzes the problems with peacemaking. He supports the papal pronouncements on the relationship between political, economic and social realities with the substantial disarming of separate union states. He adds that this relationship is valid on the international level because the...
- Catholic, Orthodox laity meet. // National Catholic Reporter;7/4/2003, Vol. 39 Issue 33, p7
Reports on the meeting among the leaders from Orthodox Christian Laity in Newton, Massachusetts to discuss insights and strategies concerning clergy sex abuse scandals. Insights into the traditional roles of laity; Promotion of lay involvement in the leadership of their respective churches;...
- EPISCOPAL ELECTIONS IN CYPRIAN: CLERICAL AND LAY, PARTICIPATION. Granfield, Patrick // Theological Studies;Mar76, Vol. 37 Issue 1, p41
Examines the role of the clergy and laity in the election of bishops emphasizing on the meaning of suffragium. Elements of the elective process; Issues involving suffragium and the nominating method.
- Lay group urges preservation of records. // National Catholic Reporter;1/24/2003, Vol. 39 Issue 12, p10
Reports that a group of New Hampshire lay Catholics is urging the Manchester diocese to preserve the records of a deceased priest previously accused of sexual abuse. Importance of the documents on depicting how the diocese has handled allegations in the past; Demands for a moratorium on...
- Pastor, not friend. // Christian Century;1/9/2013, Vol. 130 Issue 1, p35
A personal narrative is presented that discusses the author's experiences of being a pastor and having difficulty in relating to his parishioners, noting that he does not believe that he should consider them friends.