Affirmative Action in Higher Education: Recent Developments in Litigation, Admissions and Diversity Research
- Reflections on teaching and learning. Barzun, Jacques // Academic Questions;Spring91, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p30
Examines issues affecting higher education in the United States. Meaning of college to the incoming freshman; Changes in higher education in the country; Need for a fundamental reexamination of what it means to teach and learn.
- Affirmative action. Burgan, Mary // Academe;Mar/Apr96, Vol. 82 Issue 2, p2
Opinion. Suggests that the competition for spaces in what are considered the `best' colleges and universities in the United States is a narrow concept of higher education. Scenario to explain the point made; Pressure on affirmative action.
- One way to handle more students: Build. Baldauf, Scott // Christian Science Monitor;6/24/97, Vol. 89 Issue 146, p3
Reports that some colleges around the United States are building different campuses to meet the increasing demand for higher education. What these new campuses will offer students; Reference to a study that warns of the drastic nature of the changes needed; Comments made by Thomas Kean,...
- To graduate, more schools require a class in diversity. Farah, Samar // Christian Science Monitor;2/27/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 64, p12
Reports that many schools in the United States are requiring courses on diversity in order to graduate. Findings of a survey by the Association of American Colleges and Universities about what percentage of colleges and universities have a diversity requirement or are on the way to implementing...
- On mission and accountability. Tucker, Jim Guy // Education;Spring96, Vol. 116 Issue 3, p333
Comments on the future of higher education in public institutions in the United States. Factors affecting higher education; Academy; Political arena; Mission of universities; Accountability.
- Colleges of education, the new realities and a broadened definition of scholarship. Hathaway, Charles E. // Education;Spring96, Vol. 116 Issue 3, p340
Presents a challenge to colleges of education to assume a unique leadership role in the academy as higher educators seek to redefine scholarship. Background on the role for colleges of education; Scholarship of discovery; Scholarship of integration; Teaching.
- Riding the wave of an education sea change. Brand, Myles // Indianapolis Business Journal;9/5/94, Vol. 15 Issue 23, p7A
Opinion. Discusses areas where change must be considered by higher education leaders in the United States. Balance between research and teaching; Development of level of accountability; Nurture of motivation to learn; Increase in productivity by preparing students before they enter...
- Studies show colleges could improve accountability; career schools fare better. // Vocational Education Journal;Mar95, Vol. 70 Issue 3, p55
Cites studies related to the performance of college students revealing a need for colleges to make learning more relevant and improve accountability measures. `Learning by Degrees: Indicators of Performance in Higher Education' report findings; Collegiate Information Services 1994 survey...
- NADE news: Learning centers for the 21st century. Arendale, David // Journal of Developmental Education;Spring97, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p16
Focuses on the changes occurring in higher education in the United States. Focus on teaching shifted to focus on learning; Search for effective ways to change from a transmission mode of instruction to a focus on improving learning; Improvement made to the learning environment.