Yucca Mountain site gets Senate approval
- Breaking up is hard to do Shea, Cynthia Pollock // World Watch;Jul/Aug1989, Vol. 2 Issue 4, p10
No abstract available.
- Dounreay's lethal particles `fell off the back of a lorry'. Edwards, Rob // New Scientist;7/15/95, Vol. 147 Issue 1986, p6
Reports on the discovery of another 20 potentially lethal particles of radioactive waste around the Dounreay nuclear complex in Scotland. Environmentalist groups' demand for the closure of the site for cleaning; Source of the radioactive particles; Radioactive particles found on the foreshore...
- ROCKY FLATS' ROAD TO RECOVERY. Jacobson, Louis // National Journal;1/11/2003, Vol. 35 Issue 2, p116
No abstract available.
- Nuclear Reactions. Ebersole, Rene // Current Science;09/14/2001, Vol. 87 Issue 2, p6
Focuses on the arguments regarding the use and development of nuclear power plants in the United States. Sustainability of nuclear power due to abundance of fuel materials; Toxicity of radioactive wastes emitted by nuclear power plants; Long-term effects of nuclear power plant accidents.
- UK taxpayers to fund nuclear waste liabilities. // Power Economics;Jul/Aug2002, Vol. 6 Issue 7, p28
Reports that taxes paid by taxpayers in Great Britain will be used to finance nuclear waste liabilities. Establishment of a state-run Liabilities Management Authority that will take over nuclear sites and radioactive wastes; Nuclear power development; Implications for the construction of...
- DISMANTLING A NUCLEAR REACTOR. Gray, Kevin; Design, Bryan Christie // Fast Company;Jun2011, Issue 156, p34
The article presents information on the dismantling of a nuclear power plant located in Zion, Illinois which was started up in 1973 and shut down in 1998, focusing on the procedures necessary for disposing of radioactive waste.
- Radioactive Wastes. Skinner, Brian J.; Walker, Charles A. // American Scientist;Mar/Apr82, Vol. 70 Issue 2, p180
Discusses several issues concerning the safe and acceptable means of disposing radioactive wastes from nuclear power plants. Overview of the reprocessing of spent fuel rods; Means to avoid undue anxiety and engender confidence in the radioactive-waste management; Distribution of risk and...
- Troubled rebirth for French fast reactor. Patel, Tara // New Scientist;3/5/94, Vol. 141 Issue 1915, p7
Reports on the restarting of the French fast breeder reactor Superphenix for the purpose of carrying out research into the disposal of nuclear waste. Burning up of long-lived radioactive isotopes in fast reactors; Critics of the plan; French Atomic Energy Commission's (CEA) nuclear disposal...
- Nuclear decommissioning: a problem that won't go away. Lenssen, Nicholas // UNESCO Courier;Mar99, Vol. 52 Issue 3, p10
Explores the problem of nuclear waste disposal from nuclear power plants that will be decommissioned. Problems caused by shuttered nuclear reactors; How the United States and Japan deal with the problem.