Tales of a Crappie Fisherman
- Chasing crappies, the superstar fish. Nelson, G. // Boys' Life;Aug90, Vol. 80 Issue 8, p16
Reports on fishing for crappies, one of the most popular game fish. Two types of crappies; Popular baits; Where to find the fish; Tips on catching them.
- Any time is crappie time. Phillips, J.E. // Outdoor Life;May88, Vol. 181 Issue 5, p96
The crappie is fast becoming the fish that anglers pursue when they want to fry up a mess of fish. And because of this new national emphasis on crappie fishing, sportsmen are coming up with innovative techniques that help them catch more and bigger crappies all year long.
- Crappies are A-OK. Kinton, T. // Outdoor Life;Jun88, Vol. 181 Issue 6, p60
Contrary to common belief, crappies can be caught in every month of the year. An expert offers advice on how to keep your freezer full year round with one of America's favorite panfish.
- Secrets to slab-size crappies. Nelson, G. // Outdoor Life;Feb89, Vol. 183 Issue 2, p64
Offers fishing techniques and strategies for catching huge crappies.
- Summer specs. Ingram, B. // Outdoor Life;Jun89, Vol. 183 Issue 6, p94
Discusses crappie fishing in West Virginia. Best locations; Fishing techniques; License information.
- Cold calicoes. Fegely, T. // Outdoor Life;Feb91, Vol. 187 Issue 2, p82
Discusses crappie fishing in Pennsylvania. Growth in popularity; Stockings; Bait; Best fishing areas; Fishing techniques.
- Heat-seeking slabs. Mendus, E.J. // Outdoor Life;May92, Vol. 189 Issue 5, p71
Gives details on crappie fishing in New York. Most productive waters; Lures ; Habits; License information.
- Prospecting for crappies. Murray, Jeff // Outdoor Life;Apr94, Vol. 193 Issue 4, p62
Discusses ways to target post-spawn crappies in the United States. Difficulty in locating crappies; Crappies' preference for vertical structures; Crappies' attraction to main lake points overgrown with vegetation; Use of crappie jigs. INSETS: Excellent eating. (recipes).;Crappie quick tips...
- Get `em outta bed. Phillips, John; Clay, Soc // Outdoor Life;May95, Vol. 195 Issue 5, p48
Focuses on crappie fishing. Anticipation of crappie spawn; Author's knowledge about crappies; Use of heavy cover; Locating crappies in deep water; Predictable crappie behavior.
- Slabs by starlight. Phillips, John E. // Outdoor Life;Aug95, Vol. 196 Issue 2, p56
Presents author's account of crappie fishing during one summer night in Alabama. Ability of artificial lighting to attract crappies; Types of lights to choose from; Close relations between bass and crappies; Use of topographical maps and lake charts; Other natural crappie hot spots.