Black codes and broken windows: The legacy of racial
- The civil injunction. Cameron, Jeffrey R.; Skipper, John // FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin;Nov97, Vol. 66 Issue 11, p11
Reports on the civil injunction used by the Beach Police Department as a preemptive strike against gang-related crime in Redondo Beach in Southern California. Information on the North Side Redondo (NSR) Gang; Details on the civil injunction process used in the gang problem; Results of the...
- Combating gangs. Regini, Lisa A. // FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin;Feb98, Vol. 67 Issue 2, p25
Looks at the innovative anticrime strategies adopted by the policy makers to combat skyrocketing crime rates. Policing strategies in communities; Decision of Illinois Supreme Court, on gang loitering ordinance; California Supreme Court's decision on the use of injunction to target gang conduct.
- Criminalizing Day-to-Day Life: A Socio-Legal Critique of Gang Injunctions. Caldwell, Beth // American Journal of Criminal Law;Summer2010, Vol. 37 Issue 3, p241
The article presents socio-legal critique of gang injunctions in Los Angeles, California. It examines the legal process for obtaining gang injunctions and its constitutionality in Los Angeles. It uses the multiple marginality theory to analyze gang injunctions and how labeling youth as gang...
- Gang-Loitering Law Struck Down by Court. Walsh, Mark // Education Week;06/16/99, Vol. 18 Issue 40, p17
Reports that the United States Supreme Court in June 1999 struck down a Chicago city ordinance in Illinois that prohibited loitering by suspected street-gang members. Why the 1992 law was unconstitutionally vague; Basis of passing the law.
- City Council fails to properly address gangs; new bill could target Black and Latino teens. Johnson, Stephon // New York Amsterdam News;2/25/2010, Vol. 101 Issue 9, p3
The article reports on the approval of the bill Intro 1-2010 which would prevent gangs from recruiting new members and suppress initiation activity in New York City and its implications to African American and Latino teens.
- Now we'll find out which organizations are `criminal.' Jenkinson, Michael // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;05/12/97, Vol. 24 Issue 22, p43
Reports that the Liberal government of Canada has passed an anti-biker gang bill through the Senate. Members of criminal organizations that commit an indictable offense receiving up to 14 years in prison; Other provisions of the bill.
- DPS Releases 2015 Texas Gang Threat Assessment. // Ellis County Press;9/24/2015, Vol. 24 Issue 25, p5
The article announces the release of the 2015 Texas Gang Threat Assessment by the Texas Department of Public Safety to monitor gang activities within the state.
- Attorney bills remain sealed. Childs, Kelvin // Editor & Publisher;01/30/99, Vol. 132 Issue 5, p6
Reports on the rejection of the United States Supreme Court on the bid of `Albuquerque Journal' in Mexico to provide court-appointed lawyers for the members of Sureno Gang accused of murder and gun stealing. Basis of the decision; Prosecution of the gang members in New Mexico; Efforts of the...
- Gang Congregation Ordinance. Schofield, Daniel L. // FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin;Sep99, Vol. 68 Issue 9, p28
Focuses on the enactment of the Gang Congregation Ordinance in Chicago, Illinois. Consequences of loitering gang members; Predicates of the ordinance; Summary on the differing views of the justices.