Argos plans shopping channel
- Satellite news service planned. // African Business;Sep97, Issue 224, p40
Reports on Bloomberg and World-Space's announcement of an agreement to broadcast 24-hour news and information on 23 satellite television channels. African programming; Use of the AfriStar satellite.
- Satellite technology. Prehn, Eileen // Asian Business Review;Dec96, p42
Reports that satellite technology has spread across Asia bringing television and radio to over 50 countries. Star Television in Asia. INSET: Getting the message across..
- Changing affiliates juggle dishes. McConnell, Chris // Broadcasting & Cable;12/5/94, Vol. 124 Issue 49, p64
Reports on the state of direct broadcast satellite television in the United States. Technological innovations; Establishment of dedicated satellite service; Equipment purchases; Examples of American television networks upgrading their satellite television services.
- Showtime makes long-distance call. McConnell, Chris // Broadcasting & Cable;12/12/94, Vol. 124 Issue 50, p96
Reports on the use of satellite feed by Spanish commentators in the December 17, 1994 International Boxing Federation (IBF) Middleweight title bout in Quito, Ecuador.
- Pay-as-you-watch DSS deal. J.M. // Broadcasting & Cable;8/14/95, Vol. 125 Issue 33, p21
Reports that Direct Satellite System (DSS) program provider DirecTV will roll out a revolving finance program for purchasing an RCA or Sony branded 18-inch DSS satellite system.
- Playboy TV to debut `Night Calls' interactive show. Berniker, Mark // Broadcasting & Cable;8/14/95, Vol. 125 Issue 33, p26
Reports that Playboy Television will begin testing a live, interactive, talk radio-style, call-in sex show entitled `Night Calls' on August 25, 1995. Encouragement of viewers to call in and talk with two Playboy hostesses who will discuss sexual topics and fantasies; Playboy's plan to offer the...
- What's up there: A DTH directory. McConville, Jim // Broadcasting & Cable;8/12/96, Vol. 126 Issue 34, p82
Presents a directory of direct-to-home satellite broadcasting companies in the United States. Parent company; Location; Launch date; Service; Programming; Hardware; Distribution; Estimated subscribers.
- DirecTv snares USA, Turner networks. Brown, Rich // Broadcasting & Cable;5/10/93, Vol. 123 Issue 19, p10
Reports on marketing and distribution deals entered into by DirecTv with top cable networks including USA and Turner Broadcasting System. Pricing advantage; Number of channels offered; DirecTv programming; Competitor; Planned subscribers.
- Critical mass. // Broadcasting & Cable;5/10/93, Vol. 123 Issue 19, p66
Editorial. Lauds DirecTV and Hubbard for their acquisition of eight satellite direct broadcast services (DBS) to homes. Additional use of antenna and receiver; Cost of installation; Greater picture clarity and superior sound; The Hughes satellite; Pioneering efforts.