Online Or On Paper, States Must Mesh Testing With Federal Mandates
- South Dakota and Idaho Join Growing List of States Administering Testing Online. // Educational Marketer;2/18/2002, Vol. 33 Issue 6, p1
Reports on the addition of online statewide testing programs in South Dakota and Idaho as of February 2002. INSET: State And Federal Spending On K-12 Tests.
- Weekly administered formative tests of a modified format and student performance. Beaulieu, R.P.; Utecht, Kathleen M. // Journal of Instructional Psychology;Jun90, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p55
Discusses the impact of frequently administered, grade related, developmental tests on student performance in the United States. Conditioning of students to respond only to events which are grade related; Student performance in `learning quizzes'; Differential responding in the experimental...
- Playing the Testing Game. Salpeter, Judy; Foster, Kristin // Technology & Learning;Jun2000, Vol. 20 Issue 11, p26
Reports on the results of interviews with United States educational leaders and educators on their insights about the impact of standardized testing on schools. Types of tests; Ability of standardized tests to measure what educators want to measure; Fairness; Interpretation of results;...
- Performance assessment tests: A problematic panacea. Givens, Kate // Contemporary Education;1997, Vol. 69 Issue 1, p27
Focuses on the effect of implementing performance assessment tests of students in statewide testing programs in the United States. Purpose of implementing the tests; Problems occurring in the implementation on different school subjects; Different views of the advocates and opponents of the tests.
- Fixing the Race. Gratz, Donald B. // Education Week;06/07/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 39, p32
Argues that many state testing programs being introduced in the United States public schools are flawed. Analysis of the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment system; Analogy between state tests and cross-country racing; Issue of standards for high-stakes tests.
- The Politics and Practice Of Student Assessment. Rosenstein, Peter D. // Education Week;03/07/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 25, p42
Comments on the politics and practice of student testing and assessment in the United States. Criticism of the alleged use of testing as a way to reward or penalize schools; Proper uses and reasons for testing; Making testing work positively for children.
- The Politics and Practice Of Student Assessment. Boris-Schacter, Sheryl // Education Week;03/07/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 25, p42
Comments on the politics and practice of student testing and assessment in the United States. Confusion around the purposes and methods of educational testing in general; Symptom of the struggle between the profession's understanding of assessment and the public's lack of confidence in the...
- Testing. Olson, Lynn // Education Week;6/14/95, Vol. 14 Issue 38, p11
Reports on developments in educational testing in the United States for the week ending June 14, 1995. Plan by Arizona to replace student-testing program; National Center for Fair and Open Testing's publication of a guide to designing assessment tests.
- Reading assessment tools & tangible improvement. Sibenaller, Karen // Media & Methods;Mar/Apr2001, Vol. 37 Issue 5, p6
Focuses on how computers and technology are enhancing student assessment accuracy and reading improvement in the United States. Views on what constitutes effective assessment; Development of a program to help students with severe reading difficulties advance to the next grade level; Tips in...