MDR: Brick And Mortar Campuses Embracing Distance Learning
- Convene launches first K-12 classes with development of first virtual school. // Electronic Education Report;07/21/99, Vol. 6 Issue 13, p3
Reports on Convene.com's launching of a virtual home school run by the Central Connecticut Adventist School as part of a company effort to take its distance learning technology to the K-12 market.
- Cameras in the feminist classroom. Winfield, Bonnie M. // WE International;Fall97/Winter98, Issue 42/43, p18
Presents a feminist perspective about distance learning technology. Efforts to meet the needs of non-traditional students; Recommendations on distance education from Ellen Cronan Rose, author of `This Class Meets in Cyberspace'; Technological tradeoffs.
- Many benefit from distance tuition. // Finance Week;9/28/2001, p48
Focuses on the effectiveness of distance tuition in South Africa. Advantages of a distance tuition; Cost of distance education; Significance of computers and Internet to students.
- The E-Learning Phenomenon. McLester, Susan // Technology & Learning;Aug2001, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p31
Focuses on the electronic-learning phenomenon. Combination of Internet-based activities and old fashioned, in-person interaction; Features of the e-learning programs; Disadvantages of e-learning.
- Upping the Ante in Distance Learning. Hallahan, Peter // Community College Week;Fall2001 Supplement on Technology, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p12
Presents several options for distance learning in the United States. Amount of money spent for developing a distance learning program in Ohio; Content providers that offer daily electronic field trips to the classroom; Challenges encountered in applying the distance learning program; Solutions...
- Classes going the distance so people don't have to: Instructional opportunities for adult learners. NEELEY, LYNN; NIEMI, JOHN A.; EHRHARD, BARBARA J. // T H E Journal;Nov98, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p72
Focuses on the growing popularity of distance education. Communication technologies that allow educational institutions to implement distance education; Adult learners in college population; Distance education courses.
- Techtalk: Synchronous distance developmental education. MacDonald, Lucy; Caverly, David C. // Journal of Developmental Education;Spring2000, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p38
Discusses terminologies, hardware and software related to synchronous online developmental education. Need for speedy Internet access for third generation courses; Employment of synchronous activities in text and graphics; Audio conferencing and videoconferencing from a desktop computer.
- Interest Growing In Open Source Distance Learning Platform Moodle. // Electronic Education Report;12/5/2003, Vol. 10 Issue 23, p7
Reports on the growth of open-source distance learning platform Moodle at schools, colleges, and at corporations in the U.S. Provision of basic collaborative environment for distance learning applications; Design of the system; Means of administering a course management system.
- Towards a Web-based control engineering laboratory. Chetty, M. // International Journal of Electrical Engineering Education;Jan2000, Vol. 37 Issue 1, p38
Focuses on the development of a Web based control engineering laboratory facility for distance education in Australia. Use of PID controller for control system simulation; Employment of MATLAB for conducting web based education; Allowance of interaction with MATLAB via the Web; Benefits of the...