Oklahoma Court Upholds School Sales Taxes
- Ohio Lawmakers to Tackle Tricky Job of School Reform. Wisniewski, Mary // Bond Buyer;12/27/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 31045, p1
Reports on the restructuring of the financing of Ohio's public schools. Discrimination against poor districts; Funding innovations in the state budget.
- Around the Statesï¿½. // Educational Marketer;3/30/2009, Vol. 40 Issue 7, p8
The article reports that public schools in Grand Haven, Michigan have approved 275,000 U.S. dollar spending on several K-8 math textbooks.
- State Funding of K-12 Education Rises a Bit In 2003; Local Schools Shoulder More of the Burden. // Educational Marketer;7/15/2002, Vol. 33 Issue 21, p1
Focuses on efforts to increase funding for U.S. public schools for 2002. Increase in cigarette taxes and other state fees; Maintenance of amount of general aid to local schools; Statewide spending growth for 2003 fiscal year.
- Schools and property tax reform remain top issues. // Crain's Chicago Business;12/08/97, Vol. 20 Issue 49, p10
Editorial. States that Illinois General Assembly approved its $485-million public school funding package in November, 1997. How school districts throughout the state will utilize the funds.
- Vermont, with a surplus on the way, sees it frugal reputation returning. Kaplan, David // Bond Buyer;05/18/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30395, p1
Focuses on the public school funding issue in Vermont. Impact of the centralized school funding plan on tax collection; Expected surplus in the state's budget for fiscal 1998; Changes made in the property tax structure which is the primary source of school funding; Rating on the state's debt.
- Bill gives Utah teachers extra $200 for classrooms. Portner, Jessica // Education Week;2/21/96, Vol. 15 Issue 22, p18
Reports that Utah House members has approved a bill that would give teachers in the state an extra $200 for classroom activities. Enthusiasm of educators about the extra cash; Increase in overall spending on education preferred by some teachers; Governor Michael O. Leavitt's call for an...
- State declares fiscal emergency in Cleveland schools. Hendrie, Caroline // Education Week;11/6/96, Vol. 16 Issue 10, p3
Reports on Ohio's declaration of fiscal emergency in the Cleveland public schools in October 1996. Appointment of a special commission to take control of the system's finances and work towards restoration of fiscal equilibrium; Projected operating debt for the district up to 2004.
- Highlights Of The Present System Of Financing Public Education. // Congressional Digest;Aug/Sep72, Vol. 51 Issue 8/9, p196
Highlights the system of financing public education in the U.S. Tax yields for education; Collection of education revenues; Critique of the property tax.
- Recent Court Decisions On Public School Financing. // Congressional Digest;Aug/Sep72, Vol. 51 Issue 8/9, p197
Discusses the State and Federal court decisions on public school financing in the U.S. Violation of the requirements for equality contained in the State and Federal constitutions; Reliance on local property tax; Effect of parents' wealth on the quality of a child's education.
- An ISTEP in the wrong direction. Jacobs Jr., Andy // Indianapolis Business Journal;03/15/99, Vol. 19 Issue 53, p13
Criticizes the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress (ISTEP) which lets public elementary schools compete for so-called remediation funds for school districts to help disadvantaged pupils. Criticism against distribution of funds through alleged unfair competition; Rewarding of a...