Swelling Deficit and Endangered Revenue Turn Chicago to Commercial Paper
- New Jersey Court Hears Bond Battle. D'Ambrosio, Jill // Bond Buyer;7/23/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31932, p1
Reports on the debate in New Jersey about the state government's plans to issue appropriation-based deficit bonds. Arguments regarding the definition of revenue, debt-limitation clause in the constitution and the principal of a balanced budget during oral arguments in state Supreme Court.
- Plug the Hole With Bonds. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;5/12/2009, Vol. 368 Issue 33113, p9
The article focuses on the proposed bonds by the Arizona Budget Coalition to resolve the state's budget deficit. It is part of a menu of options that the coalition considers during budget debates in the Legislature. The proposal includes up to $500 million of bonds secured by lottery revenue,...
- Colorado Assembly Returns, With $1B Deficit Front and Center. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/8/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31548, p3
Reports on the budget deficit facing Colorado as of January 2003. Challenges posed by this deficit to legislators in the state; Measures to be taken by legislators to reduce the deficit; Possibility of the introduction of a rainy-day fund by state Treasurer Mike Coffman during the state's...
- Wisconsin Faces Spending Cuts; Missouri Announces $1B Gap. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;1/9/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31549, p3
Discusses the budget deficits faced by states of Wisconsin and Missouri. Step to eliminate deficit initiated by the governor of Wisconsin; Expectations regarding Missouri's revenues for a fiscal year; Highlights the gap in Missouri's budget cycle.
- Analysts Decry Officials' Inaction in Face of Connecticut's Growing Deficit. McDonald, Michael // Bond Buyer;1/10/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31550, p27
Reports on financial analysts' criticism of Connecticut state officials for failing to tackle the state's growing fiscal deficit as of January 2003. Increase in the projected deficit for the state's 2003 budget; Inability of the state legislature to work out a solution to reduce the deficit;...
- A Mile-High Budget Gap. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;3/20/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31597, p1
Reports on the shortfall in the fiscal year 2004 budget of Colorado. Factors contributing to the deficit; Total revenues to be generated by the state as of 2003; Impact of the revenue to be generated on the state's General Assembly.
- ILLINOIS: Cook's Budget. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;10/31/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31255, p42
Reports on measures taken to eliminate budget deficits in the fiscal year 2002 by the officials of Cook County, Illinois. Introduction of budget by the government for 2002; Provisions of the budget.
- Prince George's Deficit. Vekshin, Alison // Bond Buyer;11/5/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31258, p39
Reports on the announcement of a budget shortfall for the fiscal year by budget officials in Prince George's County, Maryland on October 30, 2001. Projected revenue collections for 2001; Reason behind the shortfall.
- Connecticut Lawmakers Hammer Out Compromise on $300 Million Deficit. Peacock, Wayne // Bond Buyer;11/19/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31268, p36
Reports on the measures adopted by Connecticut legislative leaders to address the budget deficit in the fiscal 2002 and 2003 budget. Amount expected to be generated from budget cuts and reallocations of the fiscal 2001 surplus; Issuance of debt to refinance capital projects.