PGW Prepares For Winton's Departure
- Publishers Group West: Small press distributor hits the big time. See, L. // Publishers Weekly;5/26/1989, Vol. 235 Issue 21, p40
Discusses Publishers Group West the California book `master distributor' founded by Charlie Winton in 1976 which now represents 200 publishers and has sales of $25 million. History of PGW; Expansion east and south; Audio tapes.
- A smooth read on cushioning. Hartman, Lauren R. // Packaging Digest;
Reports on the use of void-fill cushioning method from Pactiv Corp. by Publishers Group West for product protection shipment in the U.S. Characteristics of the shipment system; Feature of the Air Binz storage/ dispensing unit; Process of lining shipping cases with cushions.
- Big year for PGW: Sales now top $100 million. Farmanfarmaian, Roxane // Publishers Weekly;2/23/1998, Vol. 245 Issue 8, p11
Looks at the growth of United States publisher Publisher's Group West. Sales figures for 1997; Sales of the book `Cold Mountain'; Comments from Chief Executive Officer Charlie Winton; Predictions for 1998 and outlook for the future.
- PGW: A new sales structure. Farmanfarmaian, Roxane // Publishers Weekly;6/29/1998, Vol. 245 Issue 26, p12
Discusses Publishers Group West's (PGW) consolidation of its sales and marketing departments. Mark Ouimet's promotion to executive vice-president of sales and marketing; Who will report to him; Ouimet's appointment to the board of directors of Avalon Publishing Group; Career highlights.
- PGW to move distrib'n to Reno. // Publishers Weekly;5/3/1999, Vol. 246 Issue 18, p15
Reports on Publishers Group West's establishment of a distribution center in Reno, Nevada. Target date for the company's plan to move from its present warehouse in Hayward, California to Reno; Other booksellers who have distribution centers in the Reno area.
- PGW Adds Art Publishers. Rosen, Judith // Publishers Weekly;10/2/2000, Vol. 247 Issue 40, p39
Unveils the plans of Publishers Group West to develop illustrated books. Information on the bestselling books published by the company; Schedule for the release of its illustrated books.
- PGW revamps to align itself better with market conditions. Milliot, Jim // Publishers Weekly;6/16/1997, Vol. 244 Issue 24, p14
Looks at the restructuring taking place at Publishers Group West (PGW) as of June 1997. Reasons for the restructuring; Comments from president Charlie Winton; The change in PGW's total client list; Winton's assertion that PGW's has been successful with a number of titles including,...
- Publishers Group West forecasting major gains for 1994. Milliot, Jim // Publishers Weekly;4/25/1994, Vol. 241 Issue 17, p15
Reports on the financial condition of Publishers Group West. Gross sales in 1993; Return rate; Net sales; Expansion efforts.
- Taunton looking to book unit. // Publishers Weekly;5/11/1998, Vol. 245 Issue 19, p16
Notes that Taunton Press will switch its distribution to Publishers Group West on June 1, 1998. Reason for move from Norton; Background of Jim Childs, publisher of Taunton's book division; Taunton's focus.