Major supermarkets threaten discounters
- Supercenters trumping traditional discounters. Duff, Mike // DSN Retailing Today;7/9/2001, Vol. 40 Issue 13, p16
Reports on the changing formats of discount stores and supercenters aimed at improving their market share. Key factors driving fundamental changes in the traditional discount store format; Target shoppers of the extended product offerings of discount stores and supercenters.
- New York. // Drug Store News;6/17/2002, Vol. 24 Issue 8, p149
Discusses the market share of drug store chains and discount stores in New York by the end of 2001. Increase in the market share of Duane Reade; Growth in the market share of CVS; Market share of discount store Costco.
- Warm Weather a Drag On November Sales. Curan, Catherine; Kletter, Melanie // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;12/4/1998, Vol. 176 Issue 106, p2
Reports that specialty retailers and discounters continued to gain in its market share in November 1998. Why November is a disappointment to many chains; Retailers that had the strongest gains; Same-store sales of Limited Incorporated.
- Detroit. // Drug Store News;6/17/2002, Vol. 24 Issue 8, p153
Discusses the market share of drug stores, food and discount retailers in Detroit, Michigan from 2000 to 2001. Market share growth of Walgreens in 2001; Market share of CVS in 2001; Increase in the market share of Meijer; Market share held by Wal-Mart/Sam's stores in 2001.
- Discounters to benefit from 'long-term cultural shift'. // Grocer;7/6/2013, p5
The article reports on a research commissioned by wholesaler Rowan International which predicts that the discount segment will increase its share of the grocery market by 64.7 percent between 2013 and 2017.
- South Africa's Mr Price joins invasion. Mitchell, Sue // Australian Financial Review (0404-2018);8/18/2015, p21
The article offers information on intense competition among discount department stores and budget retailers to grab larger market share which includes plan of South African retailer Mr Price to set up shop in Australia and acquisition of Gazal Corp.'s Trade Secret business by U.S.-based TJ Maxx.
- Discounters, Supercenters Dominate Top 50. Sloan, Carole // Home Textiles Today;1/26/2010 Business Annual, Vol. 31 Issue 4, p6
The article reports on the increase in volume of sales of various discount stores and supercenters in the U.S. It stresses that supercenters and discount stores in the country have continued to dominate the home textiles retail world in 2008 compared to other distribution market channels in the...
- Britain leads in make-up stakes. // MarketWatch: Personal Care;November 2003, Vol. 2 Issue 11, p6
Reports on sales of mass-market cosmetics brands in the major European markets. Customers' switching of their custom from traditional retailers to discounters; Estimated value of the British, Italian, French and Scandinavian markets; Finding that the British are the biggest users of lipstick;...
- SUCCESS FOR DISCOUNTERS. WHO IS HAPPY? Vuyk, Chris // Beverage World;5/15/2004, Vol. 123 Issue 5, p64
Focuses on discount retailers in Europe. Market share of Aldi and Lidl; Advantage of low operating cost on the business of Aldi and Lidl; Details of the daily low pricing strategy for food and non-food products adopted by the two companies.