In Some States, the Budget Battles Get Under Way in Earnest
- Clinton budget takes new stab at bond proposals. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;02/14/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30828, p1A
Focuses on the inclusion of bond proposals in the year 2000 budget of President Clinton in the United States. Inclusion of plans that failed in 1999; Creation of empowerment zones (EZ) to stimulate businesses in poor areas; Incentives to promote growth in poor areas contained in the EZ program.
- MIDWEST Bond-Watch. Shields, Yvette; Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;4/17/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31367, p31
Reports developments related to bonds as of April 2002 in the U.S. Budget deficit under the administration of governor George Ryan in Illinois; Move of school activists and Parent Teachers Association to approve school bond issues in Missouri; Plans of mayor Michael Coleman to introduce a...
- Increase in bond ceiling included in tax legislation. Jacobs, Barry G. // National Real Estate Investor;Dec98, Vol. 40 Issue 13, p40
Reports on an increase in the volume of cap for tax-exempt private activity bonds that will be phased in between 2003 and 2007, provided for in the tax provisions of the fiscal 1999 omnibus appropriations bill. Measure seen as a victory for housing advocates in the United States.
- Insurance Industry Blasts Clinton Budget. Longo, Tracey // Financial Planning;Mar2000, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p18
Reports on the opposition of the insurance industry to the proposed budget of the United States government for the year 2001. Impact of the proposed budget on estate planning taxes that the industry pays; Remarks from Phil Anderson, vice president of the American Council of Life Insurance;...
- National Rivers and Harbors Congress. // America;12/18/1909, Vol. 2 Issue 10, p244
The article discusses the highlights of the 1909 6th Convention of the National Rivers and Harbors Congress in the U.S. Topics include waterways improvement made by U.S. President William Howard Taft. It notes that he cautioned the delegates to remember that there was an opposition in Congress...
- Needed: Family planning funds. Fornos, Werner // Christian Science Monitor;1/22/97, Vol. 89 Issue 39, p20
Opinion. Argues that the method of dispensing international population assistance by the United States is detrimental to United States program efforts. Role Congress has played in this; Findings of the World Health Organization (WHO); Actions that Congress should take to improve aid to the...
- Small gains from balanced budget. Weisbrot, Mark // Christian Science Monitor;1/27/97, Vol. 89 Issue 42, p19
Opinion. Reports that United States President Bill Clinton's expectations from his budget are farfetched. Proposals of the budget; Amendments to the budget; How the budget has been prioritized.
- Federal receipts by source and outlays by function. // Economic Indicators;Dec93, p33
Presents statistics on federal receipts and outlays by the United States government from 1976 to 1993. Estimates for 1994; Income taxes; Social insurance taxes; National defense expenditures; Income security; Social security; Net interest.
- Federal sector, national income accounts basis. // Economic Indicators;Dec93, p34
Presents statistics on the federal receipts and expenditures of the United States government from 1982 to the third quarter of 1993. Personal tax; Corporate profits tax; Indirect business tax; Contributions for social insurance; Purchases; Transfer payments; Grants-in-aid; Net interest paid;...