Kansas' Longest Session Ends in $252 Million Tax Increase
- Bangladesh: Papering Over The Fiscal Cracks. // Asia Weekly Financial Alert;4/21/2003, Vol. 6 Issue 31, p6
Bangladesh is imposing a travel tax on resident aliens visiting other countries, following legislation passed in Dhaka in February 2003. The tax would appear to be justified because the budget is deep in deficit, Bangladeshis travelling to other countries already pay the levy and both...
- INSATIABLE GOVERNMENT. Garrett, Garet // Saturday Evening Post;6/25/1932, Vol. 204 Issue 52, p3
Comments on the taxes imposed by the U.S. government to cover expenditures and meet its budget deficit. Estimated amount that will be contributed by the federal tax bill proposed by the U.S. Congress; Proposals of the U.S. Senate concerning the government's emergency bonds; Consequences of...
- Ventura Wrestles With Minnesota Legislators in Budget Battle. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;8/13/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31448, p3
Reports the budget deficits in Minnesota. Failure of the state to adopt a budget repair bill; Division between the Democrat-controlled Senate and a Republican-controlled House; Concerns of the lawmaker for reelection.
- Battles royal. Russell, Vivienne // Public Finance;11/20/2009, p4
The article discusses the author's views about the aspiration of the British government to reduce deficit by 2014 and balance the books by a target date of 2018 as contained in a Fiscal Responsibility Bill in Great Britain.
- Hold On, Taxpayers. Alien, Bruce C.; Tindel, Jeannie // California CPA;Jan/Feb2012, Vol. 80 Issue 7, p27
The authors focus on tax legislation initiatives in California for 2012. They agree that the state will be burdened with the budget deficit, tight deadlines and legislative boundaries as well as the campaign period. Also discussed are several bills including Assembly Bill (AB) 1345 (Lara) on...
- The Briefs. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;12/20/2002, Issue 323023, p4
Reports developments in California as of December 2002. Presentation of the Conrad Hilton Distinguished Entrepreneur Award to businessman Clete Harper and Terry Hill; Combination of foods for cholesterol reduction; Formulation of legislation addressing the budget crisis.
- State fiscal crisis buried key brownfield measure. Lieber, Tammy // Indianapolis Business Journal;3/31/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p10A
Reports that companies and investors are wary about redeveloping Indiana's brownfield sites. Concerns about lingering liability; Effect of the state's budget deficit; Senate bills which aim to make it more feasible to clean up and reuse brownfield sites. INSET: Brownfields corp wilts..
- Execs fighting transaction tax. Halonen, Doug // Pensions & Investments;11/2/2009, Vol. 37 Issue 22, p2
The article discusses the implications of new proposed taxes related to trading of stocks, commodities and other financial products in the U.S. According to proponents, the new tax is critically needed to help slash the nation's rising budget deficit. But pension and financial industry...
- A Fortified House. Cohen, Richard E.; Baumann, David // National Journal;11/6/2004, Vol. 36 Issue 45, p3407
Focuses on the plans of Republican members of the U.S. House of Representatives for the 109th Congress. Information on the plan of House Majority Leader Tom DeLay to implement a comprehensive tax reform; Views of Representative Mike Pence on the importance of controlling the U.S. budget...