Tough Times Have N.C. Governments Scaling Back Referendums
- '30s-style tax structure no longer fits the state. Cline, Ned // Business North Carolina;Jun2003, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p22
Comments on the state government system of North Carolina. Impact of the government system on state's budget deficit; Foundation of state government; Inequities and inefficiencies in state government; Reason for the program cuts and tax changes proposed by Governor Mike Easley.
- A Bit of a Tight Spot. Frank, Mitch; Richards, Constance E. // Time;9/3/2001, Vol. 158 Issue 9, p32
Discusses the challenges faced by state governors during an economic slowdown in the United States, as of September 2001. How the slowdown has caused budget shortfalls in many states; Comment that many governors are being forced to deal with such shortfalls by either cutting spending or raising...
- LEGISLATION/SOCIAL POLICY: State Legislative Update. Milsk, Phil // Social Work Networker;Feb2010, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p19
The article provides information on the 2010 Spring Legislative session. It states that the attention of the legislature focuses on fiscal concerns, such as the 13 billion dollar deficit for fiscal year 2011 and the possible closure of threatened social services providers. It also mentions the...
- N.C.'s Gov. Easley Offers 'Gimmick'-Free $15B Budget. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;3/10/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31589, p40
Focuses on the multi-billion dollar budget for fiscal year 2004 presented by North Carolina governor Mike Easley. Cuts in spending that are included in the budget; Issue of multi-million dollar bonds that Easley's budget comprises of; Revenue growth on which the budget proposal is based.
- North Carolina Governor Withholds Pension Fund Payment. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;8/10/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31200, p4
Reports that North Carolina Governor Mike Easley has withhold pension fund payment. Prevention of deficit; Shortfall for fiscal year 2001.
- Correction. // American Banker;8/20/2007, Vol. 172 Issue 160, p19
A correction to the article "Subprime Law Includes No-Doc Ban" that was published in the August 17, 2007 paper is presented.
- N.C. Governor's Emergency Moves Could Affect GO Sale. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;02/12/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31075, p3
Reports on the effects of North Carolina Governor Mike Easley's budget action on general obligation bond sales. Budget deficit of the state; Cuts in state agency budgets.
- A SPIN AROUND THE TRACK. Jacobson, Louis // National Journal;7/5/2003, Vol. 35 Issue 27, p2194
Looks at the popularity rating of North Carolina Governor Mile Easley. Survival of Easley in a crash during a NASCAR fundraising race; Reason for the favorable job rating of Easley; Discussion strategy of Easley.
- N.C. passes patients' rights. // State Government News;Nov/Dec2001, Vol. 44 Issue 10, p8
Reports on the signing of a legislation by North Carolina Governor Mike Easley on October 18, 2001 which protects the rights of patients who have been denied services or treatment by their insurance companies. Provisions of the legislation; Exemption to the law; Number of people who are...