- Trying to Adjust in 'An Unsettled Time' Baker, John F. // Publishers Weekly;3/8/2004, Vol. 251 Issue 10, pS2
Discusses the condition of the British publishing industry. Information on the management team employed by W.H. Smith for their High Streets stores; Performance of Ottakar's and Waterstone's in 2003; Types of price promotion schemes used in book stores; Plans of Charles Cork, supplier of books...
- ...but UK sellers go for book downloads. // Printing World;Sep2008, p58
The article announces that the top three leading book retailers in Great Britain are moving to sell digital editions and reading devices from their websites. Borders UK Ltd. will sell electronic titles online. Waterstone Ltd. will sell the Sony Reader e-book device in-store. WHSmith PLC is now...
- W.H. Smith de-merger offers possible U.K. opening. J. R. // Publishers Weekly;10/27/1997, Vol. 244 Issue 44, p14
Describes the financial state of the W.H. Smith chain of bookstores in Great Britain. Two takeover offers by Tim Waterstone; Smith's plans to restore its fortunes; Proposed de-merge of Waterstone chain of shops; Success of Waterstone shops; Comments from Smith's chairman Jeremy Hardie; Smith's...
- Waterstone's USA treks to Philadelphia. // Publishers Weekly;2/5/1996, Vol. 243 Issue 6, p26
Reports on W.H. Smith Group USA's decision to move most of Waterstone's USA's corporate functions from Boston, Massachusetts to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- INTERNATIONAL NEWS. // Book Publishing Report;3/18/2002, Vol. 27 Issue 11, p8
Reports developments in the publishing industry as of March 18, 2002. Reorganization of marketing teams of Waterstone's; Transfer of office of Taschen GmbH; Relaunch of World Leisure Marketing Strategies by the World Leisure Market.
- W.H. Smith Gives Book Fair Something To Buzz About. // Book Publishing Report;3/17/2003, Vol. 28 Issue 11, p4
Reports on the announcement of book publisher W.H. Smith (WHS) that it had teamed up with private equity firm Cinven Ltd. to bid on the AOL-Time Warner Book Group. Implication of the merger on WHS ; Plan of Hodder Headline Trade Publishing, a books division of WHS to distribute books in the U.S.
- INTERNATIONAL NEWS. // Book Publishing Report;07/17/2000, Vol. 25 Issue 28, p8
Cites developments concerning the international book publishing industry, as of July 17, 2000. Rise in comparable-store sales of Waterstone Booksellers for the year ended April 30; Academic publisher Taylor & Francis' plan to make almost all of its titles available as electronic books by the...
- LIVE ISSUE/MAGAZINE DISTRIBUTION. Watts, Jenny // Campaign;09/01/2000, Issue 35, p23
Reports on supermarket giant Tesco's decision to reconsider proposals making WH Smith its sole supplier of magazines. Impact of the decision on the Periodical Publishers Association; Potential ramifications for advertisers.
- INTERNATIONAL NEWS. // Book Publishing Report;2/11/2002, Vol. 27 Issue 6, p7
Presents news items related to publishers as of February 11, 2001. Plan of W.H. Smith Ltd. to bypass the returns authorization process; Change of position of Judith Elliott at Orion Children's Books; Appointment of three managers to Hodder & Stroughton's sales and marketing departments.