Effects Will Continue for a Century, Even if Emissions Are Curbed Now
- IS THE ENHANCEMENT OF GLOBAL WARMING IMPORTANT? Symons, Martyn C.R.; Barrett, Jack // Energy & Environment;2001, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p1
Examines the causes and possible solutions to global warming. Impact of human activities on the increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration; Use of alternative methods to tap energy; Reduction in the emission of carbon dioxide.
- Phaeton's Reins: Changing course will require major policy change, and the United States must lead the way. Layzer, Judy; Moomaw, William // Boston Review;Jan/Feb2007, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p20
This essay discusses ways the United States can be a leader in global climate policy change, and the reasons why it has been so slow in applying them. Policies that address global warming are not politically compelling. An international consensus based on scientific evidence on the human causes...
- Global warming on trial. Katz, Diane // Fraser Forum;Mar2010, p6
The article discusses the failure of the Copenhagen Conference held in Denmark to disclose and expose deception and fraud in the research of anthropogenic climate change and global warming. The conference urged developed countries to submit voluntary emissions reduction targets to the United...
- PAYING FOR RAIN. Chavkin, Sasha // Mother Jones;Nov/Dec2009, Vol. 34 Issue 6, p50
The author reports that Bolivian president Evo Morales has said developed nations should have to compensate developing nations for the effects of their atmospheric carbon dioxide emissions in what is called "climate reparations." The article details catastrophic flooding and rainstorms in...
- Global warming brings early spring. Pearce, Fred // New Scientist;7/13/96, Vol. 151 Issue 2038, p7
Reports on the earlier onset of the northern spring than it did in the past due to global warming. Sudden shift in the seasonal cycle of the concentration of atmospheric carbon dioxide; Importance of terrestrial vegetation to the carbon cycle; Increase in the strength of the seasonal carbon...
- Sceptic's study finds support for anthropogenic warming. // Geographical (Geographical Magazine Ltd.);Sep2012, Vol. 84 Issue 9, p15
The article discusses the increase in global warming in the world due to increase in carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
- Carbon dioxide will likely help humanity. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;06/08/98, Vol. 25 Issue 25, p20
Discusses environmental concerns in Alberta, Canada. What global warming could mean for the province; Concerns of farmers; Environmentalist views of premier Peter Lougheed; Consequences of increased atmospheric levels of carbon dioxide (CO2) that would allow plants to grow under more favorable...
- The Hazards of Coal Dependence. Broecker, Wallace S. // Natural History;Oct77, Vol. 86 Issue 8, p8
Discusses the environmental consequences of human dependence in coal as the main source of energy. Atmospheric carbon dioxide production of coal combustion; Effects of global warming on the ecosystem; Melting of ice sheets; Natural climate change in earth; Strategies to avoid environmental hazards.
- Climate change: Warming, but not as much. // Nature;1/26/2012, Vol. 481 Issue 7382, p413
The article discusses on the analysis of the increase in atmospheric temperature associated with global warming, which indicate a short-term increase of 1.3-1.8 degree Celsius for a doubling of carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere.