Colorado Bill Puts State More Firmly in Charter Schools' Corner
- Colorado Law to Assist Low-income Families. // District Administration;Jul2004, Vol. 40 Issue 7, p8
Reports on Colorado Governor Bill Owen's signing of a bill that would give low-income students more than half the average of in-state tuition for a public university. Effort of controlling tuition increases in colleges.
- Schools that work. Bonsteel, Alan // Orange County Business Journal;03/02/98, Vol. 21 Issue 9, p30
Opinion. Presents the author's views about the education in the United States. Changes in the existing law that should follow the appropriation of state school bonds proposed by Governor Pete Wilson; Condition of public schools in California that calls for restructuring; Evaluation of the...
- Charters Offered Support in Georgia. Jacobson, Linda // Education Week;6/4/2008, Vol. 27 Issue 39, p15
The article focuses on the funding of charter schools in Georgia. It explains that the state has approved bills regarding charter schools and their approval for implementation and budgets. Information about other educational laws and legislation discussed at a state council meeting is provided,...
- N.J. Clings to Education Agenda Despite Race to Top Loss. Cavanagh, Sean // Education Week;9/15/2010, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p21
The article examines education and state in New Jersey, focusing on the state's reaction to losing a federal grant competition due to problems with its $400 million proposal in the U.S. Race to the Top educational grant program. Governor Chris Christie says that New Jersey will continue with its...
- Jobs Money Flows, Amid Some Initial Kinks. Klein, Alyson; Cavanagh, Sean // Education Week;9/15/2010, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p21
The article examines the Education Jobs Fund, a $10 billion appropriation for the U.S. Department of Education passed by the Congress to offer economic assistance to U.S. state governments to prevent layoffs of teachers and other education employees. A feature of the law creating the program...
- Charter Oversight. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;6/8/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31900, p27
Reports that Colorado Governor Bill Owens has signed legislation that creates the State Charter School Institute which has the power to authorize and oversee the charter schools. Removal of the power for creating charters away from school districts; Sponsorship of the bill by Representative...
- Financial Ed Bill In New York. // Credit Union Journal;4/28/2003, Vol. 7 Issue 17, p11
Reports that legislation that has the backing of New York State's credit unions and which would promote financial education has been introduced in the New York State Legislature.
- Idaho response to school-adequacy suit is monetary. Sommerfeld, Meg // Education Week;10/26/94, Vol. 14 Issue 8, p17
Focuses on the revamping of Idaho's finance system by state policymakers to allow state aid to districts with low property wealth and the hiking of K-12 appropriations. Effect on school-finance lawsuits; Comparison of Idaho case to similar cases in other states.
- Tax-time donations. // Education Week;2/28/96, Vol. 15 Issue 23, p17
Reports on the passage of a bill by a House committee in Hawaii that will allow taxpayers to make a five-dollar donation to the state's education system on their state income tax returns. Provisions on the use of the contributions.