- Maryland approves $445 million in debt; hikes tax on tobacco. Meisler, Daniel // Bond Buyer;04/14/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30619, p36
Reports on the approval of Maryland legislators to issue $445 million worth of bonds and the proposal to increase cigarette tax. Additional revenue from bonds and tax increase by year 2000; Bonds to finance school construction.
- Northeast bond-watch. Meisler, Daniel; Kaplan, David; Hoffman, David; Kruger, Daniel // Bond Buyer;01/04/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30550, p27
Looks at the performance of bonds in the Northeastern States as of January 4, 1999. Includes approval of tax on cigars and chewing tobacco in Montgomery County, Texas; Massachusetts Health and Educational Facilities Authority's plan to issue $50 million of debt on behalf of Wellesley College;...
- Texas House Hikes Taxes On Cigarettes. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;4/28/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32370, p1
The article reports that the Texas House has approved a cigarette tax hike but rejected a proposal to issue bonds for schools. The bond measure was stripped from HB 5, which was primarily written to provide supplementary revenue to fund public education. The Texas Supreme Court in November 2005...
- From the TM3 wire. Keeton, Ann; Gallo, Pete // Bond Buyer;03/25/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30358, p2
Reports on bonds in Ohio, school budgets in Virginia and exports from California as of March 25, 1998. Includes Ohio Building Authority's plan to sell $146.255 million of state facilities bonds; Approval of a $31.1 budget proposal for fiscal 1999 from the Prince George County, Virginia School...
- MIDWEST Bond-Watch. Carvlin, Elizabeth; Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;1/22/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31557, p27
Presents several news items related to the U.S. bond market as of january 22, 2003. Downgrade in rating of Iowa-based Clarke College's multimillion dollar outstanding debts by rating agency Moody's Investors Service Inc.; Possible increase in taxes on cigarettes and alcohols in fiscal 2002...
- MIDWEST BOND-WATCH. // Bond Buyer;11/19/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31765, p35
Reports development related to bonds as of November 2003. Revision of Standard & Poor's outlook on Edward Health Services Corp.; Increase of cigarette tax; Balance of budget in education funds.
- N.J. Governor Eyes Tobacco For '03 Plan. Braun, Martin Z. // Bond Buyer;3/27/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31353, p1
Reports the proposed budget for tobacco bonds by Governor James E. McGreevey in Trenton, New Jersey. Restructure of state authorities to help close a budget deficit; Proposal for increase in the cigarette tax; Pledge of McGreevey to support school construction program.
- N.J. Legislature Weighs Smaller Cigarette Tax Hike. D'Ambrosio, Jill // Bond Buyer;6/17/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31907, p28
Reports that the New Jersey lawmakers were debating whether or not to reduce the per-pack increase on cigarette taxes as proposed by Governor James E. McGreevey's fiscal 2005 budget. Impact of hike of cigarette taxes on bonds; Assessment of the structure of the borrowing; Evaluation of the budget.
- Still Waiting in Wisconsin. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;10/24/2007, Vol. 362 Issue 32740, p1
The article reports on the approval of the proposed $57.2 billion compromise budget for fiscal 2008-2009 by Wisconsin Legislature on October 23, 2007. The budget includes a cigarette tax increase and other fee hikes sought by Democrats but removes several others opposed by Republicans. It also...