NEWS IN BRIEF
- Wall Street's troubles spark hard questions from bondholders to N.Y.C. Harris, Elizabeth E. // Bond Buyer;10/22/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30505, p11
Focuses on the impact of the sagging performance of the American bond market on New York City's soaring economy. Fears of city bondholders that slowing growth and layoffs at top companies could affect the city's bonds; City's dependence on the financial sector for a significant percentage of...
- Northeast bond-watch. Meisler, Daniel; Stephanie, Kruger // Bond Buyer;05/17/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30642, p31
Presents news briefs concerning the municipal bond market in the Northeastern States, compiled as of May 17, 1999. Includes the long-term credit outlook for Maryland's urban hospitals; Upgrading of Tuft University's outstanding debt issued through the Health and Educational Facilities Authority...
- Economic Indicators This Week. // Bond Buyer;1/3/2012, Vol. 379 Issue 33641, p2
The article lists the economic indicators for the week of January 3, 2012 in New York City which include consumer confidence, initial jobless claims, and pending home sales.
- WALL ST. LAYS AN EGG. Hayes, Dade; Triplett, William // Daily Variety;9/30/2008, Vol. 300 Issue 61, p1
The article reports on the point loss suffered by the Dow Jones Industrial Average after the House of Representatives rejected the Wall Street bailout proposal. It states that the lack of liquidity, unavailability of credit and ongoing runs on banks are all at their worst levels since the...
- Consumers add to gift lists. // Crain's New York Business;11/29/93, Vol. 9 Issue 48, p41
Reports that New York City retailers expect a growth in business in 1993 as shoppers say they intend to spend at least as much in 1993 as they did in 1992. Analysis of results of survey conducted by Arthur Andersen & Co.
- Business services and the economic performance of the... Noyelle, Thierry // Economic Policy Review (19320426);Feb97, Vol. 3 Issue 1, p79
Focuses on the business services and economic performance of the metropolitan region in New York. Business services in the world economy; New York business service firms.
- Recent developments in New York City's economy. Rosen, Rae D. // Quarterly Review (01476580);Summer93, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p15
Examines the cyclical sources of strength as well as the lingering excesses of the 1983-89 boom period of New York City, New York. Signs of growth; Prospects for growth; Structural impediments that could dampen growth; Factors and anomalies arguing for an optimistic outlook. INSET: Box: The...
- Economic and demographic change: The case of New York City. Ehrenhalt, Samuel M. // Monthly Labor Review;Feb93, Vol. 116 Issue 2, p40
Examines the effects of postwar socioeconomic changes on the city of New York, one of the world's great urban centers. Today's New York; The historical content; The new decline; The longer term; Occupational change; Demographic dynamics; Growth prospects; Data sources.
- The big squeeze. Blauner, P. // New York;4/2/90, Vol. 23 Issue 13, p50
Examines the budget crisis in New York City where the Dinkins administration is facing a $1.8 billion gap for fiscal 1991. Severe cutbacks loom for a city already reeling from crushing social problems. Plans to keep the budget from reaching crisis proportions; Flattening of the market economy...