Victory Tells FCC Spectrum Cap Constrains Services
- Bush to nominate Victory for NTIA post. // RCR Wireless News;5/21/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 21, p10
Reports that United States (U.S.) President George W. Bush is expected to appoint lawyer Nancy Victory to head the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA). Career background of Victory; Functions of the NTIA.
- Now for the free-for-all. Levy, Steven // Newsweek;2/12/1996, Vol. 127 Issue 7, p42
Reports on Congress' passage of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 and the effects it will have on consumers and the industry. Details of the bill; Belief of benefits to the public; Introduction of the so-called V-chip; Communications Decency Act; Other issues surrounding passage of...
- In protest. Tanaka, Jennifer; Gegax, T. Trent // Newsweek;2/19/1996, Vol. 127 Issue 8, p12
Reviews some of the ways that critics of the telecommunications bill are protesting its signing by President Bill Clinton in February of 1996. Backgrounds of home pages on the Internet changed to black; Posting of blue ribbons on sites.
- Telcom bill: A deal, but not done. Jessell, Harry A. // Broadcasting & Cable;1/1/96, Vol. 126 Issue 1, p18
Reports on the consensus regarding the telecommunications reform legislation that will reshape the broadcasting, cable and telephone companies in the United States. Dealing with the budget crisis; Concerns on digital television; Effect of the legislation to telecommunication companies.
- Return of the robber barons. Fore, William F. // Christian Century;11/1/95, Vol. 112 Issue 31, p1004
Criticizes the Telecommunication Competition and Deregulation Act of 1995. Implications of the bill; Reasons for the success of the proposal.
- Telcos feel the heat, set to roll out new services. Davey, Tom // PC Week;9/23/96, Vol. 13 Issue 38, p1
Reports that the 1996 Telecommunications Act is beginning to usher in a host of new communications services and lower prices, as former phone monopolies prepare to battle new competitors. Videoconferencing, ISDN and multimedia services over WANs and LANs; Competition between regional and...
- Cool reception for Democrats' telecom plan. Boliek, Brooks // Hollywood Reporter;2/16/95, Vol. 336 Issue 3, p1
Reports on reactions to the Democrats' version of telecommunication legislative reforms. Universal service requirement; Remarks from officials of telephone companies and cable industry officials; Senator Larry Pressler's attempt to get legislation that will win approval; Conflict between large...
- Telecommunications regulatory reform. Gilroy, Angele A. // Journal of Academic Librarianship;Jul96, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p293
Focuses on the Telecommunications Act of 1996; General policy objectives; Regulatory barriers addressed; Provisions.
- U.S. telecommunications today. Economides, Nicholas // Business Economics;Apr98, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p7
Reviews the conditions in the United States' telecommunications industry. Impact of technological and regulatory change on market structure and business strategy; Effects of the 1996 Telecommunications Act on market structure and strategy.
- House passes pro-RHC measure before bill vote. McCarthy, Shira // Telephony;8/7/95, Vol. 229 Issue 6, p1
Reports on the US House's passage of the pro-regional holding company manager's amendment introduced by House Commerce Committee Chairman Thomas Bliley. Effect on the time period for the Federal Communications Commission to establish rules for opening the local loop; Reduction of the number of...