Despite Legal Battle, Tempe Voters OK a Record $158M Authorization
- If citizens will butt in. // Christian Science Monitor;3/2/95, Vol. 87 Issue 66, p20
Editorial. Focuses on the anti-smoking movement in the US. Various anti-smoking legislations.
- A smoking ban goes too far. Berman, Richard // Restaurant Business;12/10/96, Vol. 95 Issue 18, p169
Opinion. Comments on an ordinance in Friendship Heights, Maryland that bans the use of tobacco on all but two of the town's public streets. Objectives of the ordinance; Criticisms of the mayor's decision; Illogical premise on which the ordinance is based; Propensity of the Center for Science in...
- Furtive smokers--and what they tell us about America. Berger, Peter L. // Commentary;Jun94, Vol. 97 Issue 6, p21
Opinion. Discusses the success of the anti-smoking campaign in the United States. Public anxiety about smoking; Reports about the harmful effects of smoking not only to smokers but to non-smokers as well; Environmental tobacco smoke (ETS); Declaration of White House as a smoke-free zone;...
- Anti-smoking ads may turn into rich new business vein. FitzGerald, Nora // Adweek Midwest Edition;09/01/97, Vol. 38 Issue 35, p2
Focuses on the anti-smoking campaigns developed in Florida that will include advertising, educational programs and stricter policing of tobacco sales to minors. Total amount of money to be paid by tobacco companies' to Florida; Other states in the United States that has an anti-smoking fund...
- Israeli smoking ban succeeds in 80% of adults at work. Seigel-Itzkovich, Judy // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);6/10/95, Vol. 310 Issue 6993, p1487
Reports on the success of antismoking laws in Israel according to survey findings by the Israel Society for the Prevention of Smoking. Places covered by the antismoking law; Compliance percentage; Fines and punishments for noncompliance.
- Proclamation 7051--National Great American Smokeout Day, 1997. Clinton, Bill // Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents;11/24/97, Vol. 33 Issue 47, p1872
Presents the proclamation given by the president of the United States on November 20, 1997 declaring the said date as National Great American Smokeout Day.
- Coalition maps smoke-free 21st century. // Nation's Health;Jan93, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p15
Reports that anti-tobacco advocates have developed their 1993 blueprint for meeting the Surgeon General's goal for a Tobacco Free Society by the Year 2000. Major policy areas chosen by the Coalition on Smoking OR Health as next year's battleground with the tobacco industry.
- Sign the no-smoking pledge. // Child Life;Oct/Nov94, Vol. 73 Issue 7, p24
Presents a copy of an anti-smoking pledge which `Child Life' magazine promises to sent to the White House.
- Smokers felt the heat. // Health (Time Inc. Health);Jan/Feb95, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p92
Reports on the resurgence of the move against smokers. Removal of cigarettes from print advertisements.