Conformal Coatings for Component Protection
- Susceptibility of Glass-Reinforced Epoxy Laminates to Conductive Anodic Filamentation. Hunt, Chris // CircuiTree;Mar2007, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p30
The article focuses on a study which examined the susceptibility of glass-reinforced epoxy laminates to conductive anodic filamentation (CAF), a sub-surface phenomenon seen in glass-reinforced epoxy laminates when used in the manufacture of printed circuit assemblies. The study discovered that...
- Protective Coatings for PCBs. Sugden, Mary // Printed Circuit Design;Nov2001, Vol. 18 Issue 11, p22
Part I. Discusses the need for using soldermask and conformal coating on printed circuit boards and assemblies. Protection provided by conformal coatings; Effect of moisture on printed circuit boards; Result of temperature tests on boards and assemblies.
- Developments in Image Transfer in PWB Fabrication. Dietz, Karl // CircuiTree;Apr2007, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p10
The article discusses the advances in image transfer in printed wiring board (PWB) fabrication. Semi-additive processes for PWB fabrication involves plating electroless copper into the unstructured build-up dielectric surface and the microvia hole walls. The article also discusses technologies...
- Back to Basics Part 21 -- Polymer Coatings for Flexible Circuits: Basic Coverlayer and Cover Coat Issues. Fjelstad, Joe // CircuiTree;May2008, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p43
This article discusses the advantages and disadvantages of the basic forms of polymer coatings which include adhesive-backed polymer films, screen-printable liquid cover coats and photoimageable liquid and film polymers. One of the reasons why adhesive-backed polymer films are often used is the...
- Back to Basics Part 22 -- Design Features for Flexible Circuit Coatings. Fjelstad, Joe // CircuiTree;Jul2008, Vol. 21 Issue 7, p20
The article discusses design guidelines for flexible circuit coatings. It is suggested that for flex circuits, the edge of the part to the edge of the conductor should be at least 1.25 micrometers (mm). The size for coverlayer opening is believed to be optimal if set equal to pad diameter. For...
- New Products. // Printed Circuit Design;Oct2001, Vol. 18 Issue 10, p25
Evaluates several printed circuit board design tools. ENTEK Plus Gold copper protective coating from Enthone Inc.; PAVE 1.0 Framework from Xilinx Inc.; Expedition WG2000.5 from Mentor Graphics Corp.
- Events. // CircuiTree;Nov2010, Vol. 23 Issue 10, p40
A calendar of events in the printed circuit industry is presented, including DesignCon on February 1-2, 2011 in Santa Clara, California and On Demand Webinars on ultraviolet (UV) conformal coating from start to finish.
- In Case You Missed It. // Circuits Assembly;Feb2007, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p104
The section presents of several papers related to printed circuits. Projects that studies the removal of lead-free flux residues by optimizing chemical and mechanical driving forces are reported in "Lessons Learned and Best Practices Developed for Cleaning Lead-Free Flux Residues From Printed...
- Step-by-Step. Ritchie, Barry; Dwane, Marjorie // SMT: Surface Mount Technology;Nov2008, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p20
The article focuses on the methods in reworking the silicone conformal coatings. It describes that silicone coatings are soft, flexible materials that provide moisture resistance and stress relief. It notes that the two primary rework scenarios which need to be considered includes the removal of...