DTV Transition Takes Stage Next Month
- Digital TV: No clear standards winner. Halonen, Doug // Electronic Media;01/08/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p8
Reports on the results of a series of comprehensive industry tests of ATSC/8VSB and DVB-T/COFDM, which reveals that such digital television transmission technologies failed to deliver signals to indoor receiver antennas in the United States. Comparison of the performance of ATSC/8VSB and...
- THE INSIDER. Greppi, Michele // Electronic Media;1/7/2002, Vol. 20 Issue 53, p8
Reports developments on television broadcasting industry in the United States. Performance ratings of ABC News Company; Professional accounts of Greta Van Susteren in the Fox News; Future projects of The Insider.
- HOLLYWOOD NOTES. Freeman, Michael; Pursell, Chris // Electronic Media;1/7/2002, Vol. 20 Issue 53, p29
Reports developments on television broadcasting industry in the United States. Programs of Buena Vista Television; Cancellation of executives Dean Valentine and Adam Ware; Production of ABC and Touchstone Television.
- Station checkbooks are open. // Broadcast Engineering;Mar1998, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p16
Presents a graph showing how much television stations are planning to spend to equip their facilities for digital broadcasting in the United States.
- The road to digital. McClure, Howard G.; Weirather, Robert R.; Ericksen, Dane E.; Payne, John; Robin, Michael; Zaller, Joe; Hejtmanek, Phil; Everett, Mark; Hunold, Kenneth; Kupnicki, Richard; Johnson, Greg; Monsen, Steve; Buterbaugh, Doug; Pierceall, Richard; Livingston, Phil; Ajamie, John; Brooks, David; Durant, James; Goldman, Matthew; Blumenfeld, Steven // Broadcast Engineering;Mar1998, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p66
Focuses on fundamental questions related to television stations' transition to digital television in the United States. Includes key specifications that should be considered when selecting a DTV transmitter; Types of test equipment that stations should plan for when building DTV facilities;...
- If you build it, will they come? Waltner, Charles // Broadcast Engineering;Mar1998, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p142
Focuses on television stations' adoption of digital television in the United States. US Federal Communications Commission's implementation schedule; Need for the consumer electronics industry to sell new products; Prediction of a fast adoption rate for digital television; Estimated set prices.
- DTV business models. Ostroff, Nat S.; Born, Marvin // Broadcast Engineering;Mar1999, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p168
Probes into the business opportunities of digital television industry in the United States. Criticisms against the Consumer Electronic Manufacturer Association; Issue on multicasting; Factor that would influence the industry's market share.
- A new broadcast medium? Birkmaier, Craig // TVB Europe;Feb97, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p10
Opinion. Discusses the debate on digital television (DTV) standards in the United States. Standards agreement in Europe; Federal Communications Commission's proposed Advanced Television Systems Committee standard; Effect of the transition to DTV to U.S. broadcasters; Social implication of the...
- What's Wrong With Digital Television. Merline, John W. // Consumers' Research Magazine;Jun2001, Vol. 84 Issue 6, p10
Explains why the transition from analog to digital television (TV) was not successful with consumers in the United States (U.S.). Comparison of prices of digital and analog TV sets; Problems with reception; Information on the alternative transmission standard, COFDM; Speculations on why the...
- Final Gore report has few surprises, many dissents. Hatch, David // Electronic Media;12/21/98, Vol. 17 Issue 52, p4
Focuses on the final report of the panel created by the administration of United States President Bill Clinton to advise it on public-interest obligations for digital television broadcasters. Proposals for voluntary free airtime commitments; Recommendation that cable companies be required to...