Through The Eyes Of History
- Building the Panama Canal. Suarez, O. // Americas;May/Jun87, Vol. 39 Issue 3, p28
Overview of the history of the Panama Canal's development. How it was built; Its opening in 1914; Political maneuvering of the Canal's building; Environmental conditions affecting workers on the Canal; Engineering difficulties encountered.
- Recalling the hitch in the big ditch. Topic, Steven C. // World Trade;Aug96, Vol. 9 Issue 8, p96
Reflects on the G1 of the construction of the Panama Canal. Claims of Theodore Roosevelt regarding his role in the construction of the canal; Ruining of reputation of French entrepreneurs and engineers; Vision of Frenchman Ferdinand de Lesseps.
- America lets go of Panama Canal. LaFranchi, Howard // Christian Science Monitor;12/13/99, Vol. 92 Issue 13, p1
Reports on the United States relinquishing control of the Panama Canal to Panama by former US president Jimmy Carter and the implications of the event as a symbol of the changing nature of the US status in international relations. INSET: Major events in the history of the Panama Canal..
- Treaty to facilitate the construction of a ship canal. // Treaty to Facilitate the Construction of a Ship Canal;2009, p1
Presents the text of a 1902 treaty designed to facilitate the construction of the Panama Canal. Specifics of the treaty.
- 1914 Huge Panama Canal Is Carved Out of the Jungle. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;02/22/99, Vol. 242 Issue 8, p29
Focuses on the history of the construction of the Panama Canal in 1880. Problems faced by the canal project; Resignation of John Findley Wallace, the project's first chief engineer; Divisions of the project; Overview of the initial plan; Description of the 12 locks along the canal.
- In the Tornadoes Wake. Haskell, Bob // Soldiers;Jul99, Vol. 54 Issue 7, p34
Provides information on the completion of the Panama Canal in Panama by the United States (US) Army. Narration of the US Army South historian Dolores De Mena on how the construction started; Occupation of the US Army in the isthmus of Panama; History of the Panama Canal. INSET: USACE on the Job.
- A historical snapshot of the Panama Canal. Hunn, Max // Cruise Travel;Nov/Dec99, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p31
Presents a historical snapshot of the Panama Canal. Opening in 1914; Role of the Spanish-American War in the canal's history; Construction of the canal; Impact on world trade; Transfer of the canal by the United States to Panama on December 31, 1999.
- The U.S. Sixth Air Force defended the Panama Canal Zone and its approaches during World War II. Glines, C.V. // Aviation History;Sep96, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p48
Discusses the US Sixth Air Force's defense of Panama during World War II. How the group protected the Panama Canal from being over-run by enemies; Reason for sending the group in the Canal Zone in the 1930s; Importance of the Canal as a national asset.
- America's journey across Panama. Pastor, Robert A. // Christian Science Monitor;12/14/99, Vol. 92 Issue 14, p11
Discusses the history of United States control over the Panama Canal and the Canal's role in relations between the US and Panama.