Language loss, Identity, and English as an International Language
- GLOBALIZAREA LINGVISTICÄ‚. Dorobanţu, Marinela Doina; Anghel, Mirel // Studii de ÅžtiintÄƒ ÅŸi CulturÄƒ;Jun2010, Vol. 6 Issue 2, p165
English is the official international language, being spoken in Great Britain, U.S.A., Canada, Australia, the continent of Africa,, Asia, islands in the Pacific Ocean, and many other states throughout the entire world. It is the leading language in diplomacy, international bussiness and science....
- "I'm forgetting both": L1 maintenance and codeswitching in Finnish-English language contact. // International Journal of Bilingualism;Sep2005, Vol. 9 Issue 3/4, p397
This article is a case study investigating the maintenance of Finnish in the language of two young Finnish-American bilinguals. The main source of data is a 90 mins audio-taped conversation between the research participants, which was recorded in Finland after they had lived eight years in the...
- English -- The One World Language? Stoakes, James Paul // Education;May1948, Vol. 68 Issue 9, p555
This article discusses the need for an official single foreign language to be used for international communication. Language differences have been a source of misunderstanding and distrust. This is why the world desperately needs a single, recognized medium of international communication that...
- Opportunities or Threats? The Case of English as a Global Language. Burns, Anne // Publishing Research Quarterly;Winter2003, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p18
Provides information on how the English language has reached its preeminent position and the challenges its faces in the future. Concept of the term World Englishes; Discussion on international English; Changes and opposition against World Englishes; Information on the future of the language.
- The Impact of the American English Learning upon Chinese College Students' Ideology. Xiao Yue // Creative Education;Feb2012, Vol. 3 Issue 1, p164
In recent decades, many researchers have devoted themselves to the study of the impact of American ideology upon Chinese college students. However, few of researches have been made in this area in view of language attrition. This thesis mainly analyses the transfer of Chinese college students'...
- Introduction: Promoting Plain English. Steinberg, Erwin R. // Visible Language;Spring86, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p153
The article discusses various reports published within the issue including one by Barry Jereb and colleagues on the specific plain language programs in industry and another by Betsy A. Bowen and colleagues on plain language laws.
- Fact File: LANGUAGE. // Bermuda (Landmark Visitors Guide);2004 2nd Edition, p107
Provides information related to the language used in the Bermuda Islands. Use of English language as the island's official language.
- In English, please. // Christian Science Monitor;11/2/95, Vol. 87 Issue 237, p20
Editorial. Views the striking down of amendment to Arizona's constitution by federal appeals court, which required state employees to speak English on the job. No interference in the people's right to speak any other language they choose.
- English as a Lingua Franca in the International University: The Politics of Academic English Language Policy. Murata, Kumiko // ELT Journal: English Language Teaching Journal;Apr2014, Vol. 68 Issue 2, p205
No abstract available.