From The States
- School improvement grants spur reinvention. BLANKINSHIP, DONNA GORDON // Native American Times;12/17/2010, Vol. 16 Issue 51, p4
The article discusses the courses of action taken by U.S. schools to avail themselves of federal school improvement money.
- Surplus property for schools. // American School & University;Oct96, Vol. 69 Issue 2, p14
Reports that elementary and secondary schools have priority for receiving excess federal equipment for use in science, math or related education activities. Details of contact information.
- REAlity: How the Reading Excellence Act took form in two schools. Mesmer, Heidi Anne E.; Karchmer, Rachel A. // Reading Teacher;Apr2003, Vol. 56 Issue 7, p636
Investigates professional development in two U.S. schools receiving Reading Excellence Act (REA) funding. Balance between meeting the conditions of the funding agency and responding to the schools; Objectives of the law; Allocation of the REA subgrants; Variations occurred in the ways that...
- Restructuring Schools: What Matters and What Works. Lieberman, Ann; Miller, Lynne // Phi Delta Kappan;Jun90, Vol. 71 Issue 10, p759
Focuses on the constraints and the possibilities posed by school restructuring in the U.S. Approaches to restructuring; Number of Maine schools that were awarded with grants to restructure; Components of restructuring; Issues involved in school restructuring efforts.
- Charter grants beckon big ideas. // Indianapolis Business Journal;10/17/2011, Vol. 32 Issue 33, p10
The author reflects on the plan of education innovation group The Mind Trust to award one million U.S. dollar worth of grants for the launch of innovative charter schools in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Justice Thomas Supports Church College Aid. // Church & State;Jul/Aug99, Vol. 82 Issue 7, p3
Deals with the dissenting opinion of United States Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas on the policy of barring state aid to pervasively sectarian schools and colleges. Focus of the case `Columbia Union College versus Clarke'; Remarks from Thomas.
- Private School Students Cheat More Than Public School Pupils, Says Survey. // Church & State;Dec2002, Vol. 55 Issue 11, p17
Compares student cheating in public and private schools. Attendance in public schools; Assertion that government aid to religious schools will boost public morals; Parents' support for school vouchers.
- SIG Awards. // ED Review;1/3/2014, p2
The article announces that Arne Duncan, U.S. Secretary of Education, named seven states including Arkansas, Kentucky and Missouri, which will receive $43.4 million under the School Improvement Grants (SIG) Program, aimed at turning around lowest-achieving schools.
- OVERHEARD. // Teacher Magazine;May2003, Vol. 14 Issue 7, p11
Presents teaching-related quotes as of May 1, 2003. Criticism of the United States Supreme Court decision allowing school districts to drug-test all students; Justification for a Rhode Island Board of Regents request that schools become more personalized; 2004 Budget allotment for the No Child...