NEWS IN BRIEF
- Nevada, Hawaii lead unemployment surge. Torres, Carlos // Las Vegas Business Press;12/3/2001, Vol. 18 Issue 49, p6
Reports developments related to unemployment in the U.S. Increment of unemployment rate; Decline of private sectors job; Implications of economic slow down.
- More 'New Economy' growth foreseen. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);10/06/2000, Vol. 47 Issue 40, p2B
Reports on the growth of 'New Economy' business models in the United States. Improvement of unemployment rate; Productivity growth.
- Unemployment fuels a backlash. Hansen, Fay // Workforce Management;Apr2004, Vol. 83 Issue 4, p71
Reports on the effects of outsourcing on employment in the U.S. as of January 2004. Estimated number of jobs that were vacant; Shortage of college graduates in the U.S.; Ways to minimize the negative impact of workforce reductions.
- Do it today. Lovero, Marge // Fairfield County Business Journal;9/9/2002, Vol. 41 Issue 36, p37
Comments on the lessons learned by businesses from the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in the U.S. Launch of businesses to employ unemployed people; Work unity of business owners; Initiative of retrenched executives to generate an income.
- INBRIEF. Siegel, Gary E. // Investment Dealers' Digest;3/13/2009, Vol. 75 Issue 11, p12
The article offers U.S. news briefs related to the business enterprises in the U.S. Initial claims for state unemployment surged by 9,000 in the week of March 7 to 654,000 after adjustment as reported by the Labor Department. Business sales declined by 1.0% and inventories went down 1.1% in...
- Fla. Businesses Win, Colleges Lose in Legislative Session. Rosica, James L. // Community College Week;4/2/2012, Vol. 24 Issue 17, p10
The article reports that Florida's businesses have gained in the legislature while the state's college students felt short changed. A total of 550 million U.S. dollars in expected savings for businesses over 2 years were the result of legislators' reduction of a mammoth increase in unemployment...
- Demand the Impossible. Rothschild, Matthew // Progressive;Oct2011, Vol. 75 Issue 10, p8
The article presents the author's comments on unemployment and inequality in the U.S. The author criticizes the government policies saying that Wall Street tycoons and the chief executive officers (CEOs) of America's largest corporations run this country. According to the author, with the help...
- Markets Face Rocky Road Ahead. // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;3/17/2003, Vol. 185 Issue 54, p19
Reports on the impact of economic downturn on the business performance of several companies in the U.S. Factors causing the increase in the unemployment rate; Increase of government deficits; Availability of funds.
- LAYOFF COUNT. Florian, Ellen // Fortune;6/11/2001, Vol. 143 Issue 12, p44
Reports on layoffs at United States corporations for the month of May, 2001. Total job losses in 2001; Layoffs at Dell Computer, 3Com, and Dow Chemical.