NEWS IN BRIEF
- Nevada, Hawaii lead unemployment surge. Torres, Carlos // Las Vegas Business Press;12/3/2001, Vol. 18 Issue 49, p6
Reports developments related to unemployment in the U.S. Increment of unemployment rate; Decline of private sectors job; Implications of economic slow down.
- More 'New Economy' growth foreseen. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);10/06/2000, Vol. 47 Issue 40, p2B
Reports on the growth of 'New Economy' business models in the United States. Improvement of unemployment rate; Productivity growth.
- Unemployment fuels a backlash. Hansen, Fay // Workforce Management;Apr2004, Vol. 83 Issue 4, p71
Reports on the effects of outsourcing on employment in the U.S. as of January 2004. Estimated number of jobs that were vacant; Shortage of college graduates in the U.S.; Ways to minimize the negative impact of workforce reductions.
- Do it today. Lovero, Marge // Fairfield County Business Journal;9/9/2002, Vol. 41 Issue 36, p37
Comments on the lessons learned by businesses from the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in the U.S. Launch of businesses to employ unemployed people; Work unity of business owners; Initiative of retrenched executives to generate an income.
- INBRIEF. Siegel, Gary E. // Investment Dealers' Digest;3/13/2009, Vol. 75 Issue 11, p12
The article offers U.S. news briefs related to the business enterprises in the U.S. Initial claims for state unemployment surged by 9,000 in the week of March 7 to 654,000 after adjustment as reported by the Labor Department. Business sales declined by 1.0% and inventories went down 1.1% in...
- Fla. Businesses Win, Colleges Lose in Legislative Session. Rosica, James L. // Community College Week;4/2/2012, Vol. 24 Issue 17, p10
The article reports that Florida's businesses have gained in the legislature while the state's college students felt short changed. A total of 550 million U.S. dollars in expected savings for businesses over 2 years were the result of legislators' reduction of a mammoth increase in unemployment...
- Markets Face Rocky Road Ahead. // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;3/17/2003, Vol. 185 Issue 54, p19
Reports on the impact of economic downturn on the business performance of several companies in the U.S. Factors causing the increase in the unemployment rate; Increase of government deficits; Availability of funds.
- LAYOFF COUNT. Florian, Ellen // Fortune;6/11/2001, Vol. 143 Issue 12, p44
Reports on layoffs at United States corporations for the month of May, 2001. Total job losses in 2001; Layoffs at Dell Computer, 3Com, and Dow Chemical.
- Bronx cheers for biz growth. KARNI, ANNIE // Crain's New York Business;4/15/2013, Vol. 29 Issue 15, p3
The article examines the growth of new businesses in the Bronx borough of New York City. According to Jose Made, loan consultant at Accion USA , between 1991 and 2011 the Bronx recorded quadrupled number of new businesses. Analysts attribute this boom to the borough's rapid population growth,...