Tennessee Lawmakers Near Vote on Taxes and More Taxes
- Sales Tax Simplification Bills Introduced in Nebraska, Wyoming. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;01/26/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31065, p4
Reports on the legislation aimed at simplifying the United States' existing sales and use tax system to permit the taxation of out-of-state sales. Introduction of the tax simplification legislation in Nebraska and Wyoming; Number of states joining in the Streamlined Sales Tax Project; Caution...
- Tax Hike Opponents Arise. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;8/2/2011, Vol. 377 Issue 33558, p7
The article focuses on the creation of a political action committee group comprising of several residents from Little Rock, Arkansas named as 500 Million Dollars Tax-Too Much aimed at opposing Mayor Mark Stodola's proposal to raise the city's sales tax rate by 1% to fund capital projects.
- Illinois' tax could be N.H.'s gain. Barry, Curtis J. // New Hampshire Business Review;5/20/2011, Vol. 33 Issue 10, p19
The article focuses on the issue regarding sales tax policies in New Hampshire, in which it mentions that Illinois is not alone in passing the legislation as five other states have enacted laws requiring out-of-state retailers to collect sales taxes if they have online affiliates in the state.
- Hidden tax, open chaos. Jenkinson, Michael // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;2/10/97, Vol. 24 Issue 9, p9
Discusses the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) scheduled to take effect April 1, 1997 in Canada. Bill C-70's legislative status; Reaction from various national retailers; Threats made by Carlton Cards Ltd. and Woolworth Canada Inc. in regards to HST; Views of the Canadian Tax Foundation; Discussion...
- Half-cent tax didn't stand a chance. Cross, Cheri // Inside Tucson Business;03/24/97, Vol. 6 Issue 52, p4
Comments on the unsuccessful attempt of the United States House to implement a half-cent sales tax. Sales tax adjustments; Plans for the sales tax implementation; Benefits of the plans to the advancement of educational facilities; Beliefs concerning the Groscost-Keegan plan.
- Sales-Tax Increases Could Make Their Way Onto March Ballot. Fine, Howard // Orange County Business Journal;11/12/2001, Vol. 24 Issue 46, p8
Reports the proposition of sales-tax increase legislation in Sacramento, California. Projection for the approval of the proposals on the March ballot; Use of the sales-tax increase for public health and safety; Details on the proposed legislation.
- Water, please. // Business Press;10/27/97 Supplement Business Voice, Vol. 14 Issue 43, p19
Presents a survey on the views of persons on the proposed 1/4-of-a-penny sales tax increases for water system improvements. What are the suggested solutions.
- TX: Affiliate Nexus Legislation. // GPP eNews;4/22/2011, p5
This article reports on the introduction of a bill in Texas that would require remote sellers to collect sales tax if they are affiliated with an entity in the state.
- New report foresees lower offset if NYC apparel sales tax repealed. Wilson, Eric; Morrow, Elizabeth // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;6/27/1997, Vol. 173 Issue 121, p2
Details the New York City's Independent Budget Office's (IBO) issuance of report which supports the elimination of sales tax in apparel. Contradiction of the IBO's report with the one issued by the New York City Economic Development Corp.; Purpose of the report according to IBO officials;...