Town centers: It's all in the mix
- Ludic Architecture: Playful Tools for Participation in Spatial Design. Harriss, Harriet // Design Principles & Practice: An International Journal;2010, Vol. 4 Issue 5, p175
During four years directing an architecture consultancy that focused on user participation in the design process, I observed, researched, developed, designed and implemented a range of playful participation strategies to engage a diverse range of people in the design of public spaces and...
- Ian Martin. // Building Design;5/27/2005, Issue 1675, p36
The article informs about the weekly activities of the author relating to building design in England as of May 27, 2005. The author informs that he has been hired as social engineering consultant by the managers of Greywater shopping centre in Essex, England. Furthermore, the author states that...
- Describing and locating public open spaces in urban planning. Montenegro, Nuno; Beir�o, Jos�; Duarte, Jos� // International Journal of Design Sciences & Technology;2012, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p91
One of the problems that planners face currently is the difficulty in finding appropriate guidelines for organizing public open spaces in urban areas. This invokes the need to create a system tool to describe and guide the planning of such components of the urban space. This research explores...
- the millennium. Uhlir, Edward K. // Economic Development Journal;Spring2005, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p7
Highlights the opening of the Millennium Park in Chicago, Illinois with a grand celebration on July 16, 2004. Transformation of commuter rail lines and a surface parking lot into an outdoor cultural venue; Details about the design and development of the park; Designers and architects who...
- Internal Public Spaces 9 Physical, Social Dimensions, and Relationship with Visitors for the Creation of Sense of Place. Kusumowidagd, Astrid; Widodo, Pribadi // Annual International Conference on Architecture & Civil Engineer;03/18/2013, p512
Public spaces can sometimes be considered as nodes and are often regarded as the images that create a sense of place in a city. Public spaces here refer to city parks and streets with their many elements. On a smaller scale, a shopping center as a commercial building also serves as public space...
- Place-Making through Water Sensitive Urban Design. Vernon, Byron; Tiwari, Reena // Sustainability (2071-1050);Dec2009, Vol. 1 Issue 4, p789
The paper aims to develop a practice and evaluation model for public open spaces in residential areas that considers water sensitive urban design techniques contributing to place-making.
- HOW TO SCORE A SPOT AT THE WEBN FIREWORKS. // Cincinnati Magazine;Feb2014, Vol. 47 Issue 5, p63
The article offers information on choosing Serpentine Wall at Sawyer Point in Ohio when considering locations for public and family events.
- Survey highlights impact of cuts. Abbott, Jez // Horticulture Week;1/23/2015, p12
The article focuses on the findings of the survey made by Pollsters for Greenspace Scotland which states that one third of a population in Scotland states that the country's quality of the spaces has declined since 2010.
- Uneasy Spaces. Felicella, Elizabeth // Places: Forum of Design for the Public Realm;Winter2000, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p50
Photographs of public spaces are presented.