ANCIENT LOGISTICS - HISTORICAL TIMELINE AND ETYMOLOGY
- Like Music to Pythagoreans. Garcia, Albert // Calliope;Jul/Aug2010, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p18
The article discusses how mathematician Pythagoras defines the meaning of numbers in religious and musical order.
- PyÂ·thagÂ·oÂ·ras. // American Heritage Student Science Dictionary;2009, p281
The article presents a reference entry for Pythagoras. Pythagoras was the 6th century B.C. Greek philosopher who theorized that numbers constitute the essence of all natural things. He developed the Pythagorean theorem and was one of the first to apply mathematical order to observations of the...
- Pythagoras (lived c. 530 BC). // Hutchinson Dictionary of Scientific Biography;2005, p1
Greek mathematician and philosopher, part of whose mystic beliefs entailed an intense study of whole numbers, the effect of which he sought to find in the workings of nature. He founded a famous school that lived as a cultic community governed by what might now be considered eccentricâ€”if...
- My Experiences with Pythagoras. Miller III, John F. // Journal of Religion & Psychical Research;Oct98, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p217
Presents insights into the philosophy of ancient Greek philosopher Pythagoras. Typical interpretation of pre-Socratic philosophers; Pythagorean numerology; Time as the soul of the world.
- THE UNFORGETTABLE EXPERIENCE OF A WORKSHOP ON PYTHAGORAS THEOREM. Arwani, Salima Shahzad // Mathematics Teaching;
The article presents authors experience of the workshop related to learn Pythagoras theorem for teachers in mathematics. It mentions that the theorem was developed by the Greek philosopher, Pythagoras. It mentions that the concept plays an important role in the theorem which is viewed as a...
- He Lived With Numbers. Williams, Michael R. // World & I;May2001, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p140
Explores the contributions of Greek mathematician Pythagoras to mathematics. Family background; Discoveries in geometry; Overview of the early Greek mathematics; Characteristics of numbers.
- The Fish. Hoffman, Michael; Preston, Kyle // Odyssey;Dec2001, Vol. 10 Issue 9, p46
Presents a story on Math Brigade, a group of four members of the honors math program. Rescue of Pythagoras, founder of Pythagorean Theorem; Solution to the puzzle in rescue of Pythagoras; Use of multiplication to derive the answer.
- PYTHAGORAS. Lewis, James R. // Astrology Book;2003, p565
An encyclopedia entry for Pythagoras is presented. The Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer was responsible for developing the heliocentric theory of the universe or the notion that Earth and the planets revolve around the Sun. Examples of mathematical notions developed by Pythagoras...
- The Religion of Mathematics. Robinson, Dave // Introducing Plato;9/ 1/2005, p19
The article focuses on the belief of philosopher Pythagoras about mathematics. He realized that mathematics is independent of the observable, empirical world. He believes that the field is pure and uncontaminated and that it enables one to escape from the inconsistencies of the physical world....