ANCIENT LOGISTICS - HISTORICAL TIMELINE AND ETYMOLOGY
- Like Music to Pythagoreans. Garcia, Albert // Calliope;Jul/Aug2010, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p18
The article discusses how mathematician Pythagoras defines the meaning of numbers in religious and musical order.
- PyÂ·thagÂ·oÂ·ras. // American Heritage Student Science Dictionary;2009, p281
The article presents a reference entry for Pythagoras. Pythagoras was the 6th century B.C. Greek philosopher who theorized that numbers constitute the essence of all natural things. He developed the Pythagorean theorem and was one of the first to apply mathematical order to observations of the...
- THE UNFORGETTABLE EXPERIENCE OF A WORKSHOP ON PYTHAGORAS THEOREM. Arwani, Salima Shahzad // Mathematics Teaching;
The article presents authors experience of the workshop related to learn Pythagoras theorem for teachers in mathematics. It mentions that the theorem was developed by the Greek philosopher, Pythagoras. It mentions that the concept plays an important role in the theorem which is viewed as a...
- He Lived With Numbers. Williams, Michael R. // World & I;May2001, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p140
Explores the contributions of Greek mathematician Pythagoras to mathematics. Family background; Discoveries in geometry; Overview of the early Greek mathematics; Characteristics of numbers.
- Pythagoras' music. Prochazka, Helen // Australian Mathematics Teacher;Oct2004, Vol. 60 Issue 4, p10
Explains the link between music and mathematics. Belief of Pythagoras, a mathematician, about music; Experiment of Pythagoras that led to the discovery of the mathematics of musical scale; Association between musical notes and the lengths of string in musical instruments.
- Is Harmony at the Heart of Things? Aveni, Anthony // Wilson Quarterly;Winter2001, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p54
Details the efforts of various civilizations to explain the evidence of harmony in the celestial bodies. Astronomical discovery of Daniel Kirkwood in 1866; Theorem of Greek philosopher Pythagoras; Numerological mentality of the Mayan civilization.
- The Fish. Hoffman, Michael; Preston, Kyle // Odyssey;Dec2001, Vol. 10 Issue 9, p46
Presents a story on Math Brigade, a group of four members of the honors math program. Rescue of Pythagoras, founder of Pythagorean Theorem; Solution to the puzzle in rescue of Pythagoras; Use of multiplication to derive the answer.
- My Experiences with Pythagoras. Miller III, John F. // Journal of Religion & Psychical Research;Oct98, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p217
Presents insights into the philosophy of ancient Greek philosopher Pythagoras. Typical interpretation of pre-Socratic philosophers; Pythagorean numerology; Time as the soul of the world.
- Math Back Then. // Monkeyshines on Math, Money, & Banking;2002, p6
Discusses the historical origin of the first known math system and the understanding of the uses of mathematics developed by mathematician Pythagoras.