Ruling Against Using School Fund to Balance Arizona Budget Likely to Go Unheeded
- AND THEN GOD CREATED KANSAS? THE EVOLUTION/CREATIONISM DEBATE IN AMERICA'S PUBLIC SCHOOLS. George, Marjorie // University of Pennsylvania Law Review;Jan2001, Vol. 149 Issue 3, p843
Focuses on the efforts to navigate Supreme Court decisions when defining the parameters for teaching evolution and creationism in public schools in Kansas. History of creationism debate; Approaches to introducing creationism within the confines of Supreme Court decisions; Failure to satisfy the...
- School Prayer. // Education Digest;Nov1969, Vol. 35 Issue 3, p60
The article reports that one eastern board of education has taken a new tack in its efforts to circumvent the U.S. Supreme Court ban on prayers. At Netcong, New Jersey, the board announced this fall that each school day is now preceded by the reading of a prayer from the Congressional Record....
- India's Supreme Court Allows Religion In Public Schools. // Church & State;Nov2002, Vol. 55 Issue 10, p21
Reports a court ruling allowing the integration of religion into public schools curriculum in India. Constitutionality of religious studies; Need for students to know their religion; Skepticism against the scheme.
- Excerpts From the Ruling in Smith v. School Commissioners. // Education Week;3/11/1987, Vol. 6 Issue 24, p18
Excerpts from the ruling of U.S. District Judge W. Brevard Hand on the case "Smith v. Board of School Commissioners of Mobile County, Alabama" are presented.
- Riots Close Schools in Los Angeles Following Verdict in Beating Trial. // Education Week;5/6/1992, Vol. 11 Issue 33, p2
The article reports on the closing of about one-fifth of the public schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District in Los Angeles, California because of the riots that followed the verdict in beating trial. Seventy-eight elementary schools, 14 junior high schools and 13 senior high schools...
- EDUCATION. // America;8/6/1910, Vol. 3 Issue 17, p447
The article covers issues related to education in the U.S. and Italy as of August 1910. A ruling by the Supreme Court at Springfield, Illinois stated that religious exercises cannot be held in the schools of the state during the time pupils are required to be in attendance. Advocates of the...
- Litigating Education. Wisniewski, Mary // Bond Buyer;09/18/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30977, p1
Focuses on the state court decisions over funding inequities for public schools in the United States. Concern over capital spending litigation for school-facility funding; Reason for inequities between schools in wealthy and poor districts; Use of local general obligation bonds to fund school...
- Judge Orders Increase For Baltimore Schools. Gehring, John // Education Week;9/1/2004, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p4
The Baltimore public schools remain underfunded by the state, a Baltimore Circuit Court judge has ruled. Judge Joseph H.H. Kaplan handed down his decision on August 20, 2004 after four days of hearings in July, during which state education leaders argued that more efficient management, rather...
- Fed Judge Approves Settlement in NY Discrimination Case. // Tennessee Tribune;4/10/2014, Vol. 25 Issue 15, p1A
The article informs that a federal judge has finalized the settlement in a case that involved women and minorities who work as custodians for New York City public schools.