FCC's New USF Plan: Something for Everyone
- Branch lines. Rubenstein, Roy // Total Telecom Magazine;May2009, p24
The article reports that multi-system cable operators (MSOs) in the U.S. and Europe are upgrading their networks to become wireless networks which heightens its competition with telecommunications companies. It notes that most MSOs are further advanced when it comes to networks to offer...
- VOLUME CONTROL. Warner, Tracy; Edwards, Bill; Wagner, Richard; Bartash, Jeffry // Multichannel News;2/20/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 8, p20
The article presents views on video franchising in the U.S. The regulation of phone companies' rates is addressed. The need for franchise to deliver cable-like television service is explained. The advantage of competition in the industry is also described.
- No Shame. Forbes, Steve // Forbes Asia;9/19/2005, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p11
The author opines on the competition between cable television and telephone companies in the U.S. He states that cable companies want to force telephone firms to have to get permission from every cities to furnish video products. He criticizes the cable sector for its efforts to prevent...
- That 70's Show: Test May Provide Gateway to A la Carte. // CableFAX Daily;2/13/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 29, p1
Presents information on the unveil of a video competition report by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission which contains the 70/70 test used in measuring the availability of cable systems to subscribers in 2006. Possibility for the agency to promulgate rules needed to promote diversity of...
- WAR OF THE WIRES. Pethokoukis, James M. // U.S. News & World Report;9/27/2004, Vol. 137 Issue 10, p44
Reports on the marketing battle between U.S. cable and telephone giants to provide new data, voice and video services. Cablevision's discount pricing for new customers; Escalation in the competition; Discussion of technological change and the slowdown in both the core phone and cable businesses;...
- Telephone Company and Cable Television Competition: Key Technical, Economic, Legal and Policy Issues. // Journalism Quarterly;Autumn91, Vol. 68 Issue 3, p578
Reviews the book `Telephone Company and Cable Television Competition: Key Technical, Economic, Legal and Policy Issues,` by Stuart N. Brotman.
- FCC Fails To See Future Of Television. Lillian Rodríguez-López // Business Journal (Central New York);12/8/2006, Vol. 20 Issue 49, p22
The article presents information on the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC), which is planning to implement an obsolete technology of the 1990s for cable television services. In 1996, FCC created rules to enhance competition for devices related to cable services. It required cable...
- Whose View of Competition is Truer? Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;09/18/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 38, p48
Reports on the United States Federal Communications Commission's review of competition within the cable television industry. Market share of cable operators; Comments of the National Cable Television Association.
- What sayeth you, Crystal Ball? // CED;Jan2006, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p3
This article presents forecasts for the U.S. broadcasting industry. One of the forecasts is at least one U.S. cable operator will launch a 100 Mbps residential service. An operator will raise the bar with pre-DOCSIS 3.0 technology because of pressure from the local telco and its...