Behind Universal's $60 VOD Misfire
- UNIVERSAL HALTS PREMIUM VOD 'HEIST' AFTER PROTEST. GRUENWEDEL, ERIK // Home Media Magazine;10/17/2011, Vol. 33 Issue 42, p1
The article discusses the cancellation of Universal Studios Home Entertainment's plans to release the action comedy movie "Tower Heist" in video-on-demand window, fearing boycott by theater chains led by National Amusements and Cinemark.
- UNIVERSAL TO BOW MURPHY MOVIE ON PREMIUM VOD. GRUENWEDEL, ERIK // Home Media Magazine;10/10/2011, Vol. 33 Issue 41, p3
The article reports on the plan of Universal Studios Home Entertainment to offer the film "Tower Heist" on premium video-on-demand in select markets just 21 days after its November 4, 2011 theatrical launch.
- Tower Heist's On-Demand Bust. Smith, Grady // Entertainment Weekly;10/28/2011, Issue 1178, p14
The article discusses controversy over film studio Universal Studios' attempt to offer the film "Tower Heist" as a premium video on demand to Comcast digital cable subscribers only three weeks after its premiere in studios. Movie theater chain Cinemark's refusal to screen the film as a result is...
- IF IT AIN'T BROKE, WHY FIX IT? // Film Journal International;Nov2011, Vol. 114 Issue 11, p3
The article explores two issues regarding the relationship between motion picture distributors and exhibitors, including the release of motion pictures to video-on-demand (VOD) services and the requirement that motion picture studio's pay for glasses to watch 3-D films. The author comments on a...
- 'TOWER' OF POWER. // Daily Variety;10/13/2011, Vol. 313 Issue 9, p1
The article presents information regarding the scrapped plans of Universal Pictures, to make "Tower Heist," available via premium video-on-demand, due to exhibitors' pressures.
- REEL NEWS IN REVIEW. // Film Journal International;Nov2011, Vol. 114 Issue 11, p6
The article offers news briefs related to the motion picture industry. Motion picture exhibition company Cinemark has placed a boycott on the film "Tower Heist" due to the decision by its distributor to release the film to Comcast's video on demand service. Several employees of Universal...
- Tyra's ' Modelland' debuts at No. 2 on the New York Times bestseller list. Anthony, Florence // New York Amsterdam News;10/27/2011, Vol. 102 Issue 43, p23
The article offers news briefs related to celebrities in the U.S. including the legalization of the divorce filed by Dream and Christina Milian, the 2011 season of the Hollywood Black Film Festival and the premiere showing of the film "Tower Heist" at the Ziegfeld Theatre in New York City.
- UNI: 'BRIDESMAIDS' IS TOP VOD TITLE. GRUENWEDEL, ERIK // Home Media Magazine;2/20/2012, Vol. 34 Issue 7, p8
The article reports that "Bridesmaids" is the number one transactional video-on-demand title in history, according to Universal Pictures.
- THE ART OF COMEDY. // Entertainment Weekly;11/4/2011, Issue 1179, p50
A personal narrative from film director Brett Ratner is presented which explores his views on how to make action comedies like his "Tower Heist" film successful by balancing comedy with skilled dramatic actors.