The devastated marine kingdom
- Word Wise. // Weekly Reader News - Edition 4;9/15/2006, Vol. 88 Issue 2, p8
A quiz about marine environment is presented.
- Indirect Effects of Conservation Policies on the Coupled Human-Natural Ecosystem of the Upper Gulf of California Morzaria-Luna, Hem Nalini; Ainsworth, Cameron H.; Kaplan, Isaac C.; Levin, Phillip S.; Fulton, Elizabeth A. // PLoS ONE;May2013, Vol. 8 Issue 5, p1
High bycatch of non-target species and species of conservation concern often drives the implementation of fisheries policies. However, species- or fishery-specific policies may lead to indirect consequences, positive or negative, for other species or fisheries. We use an Atlantis ecosystem model...
- Underwater Wilderness. Knight, Deborah // Audubon;Jan/Feb2000, Vol. 102 Issue 1, p62
Describes the underwater forest of the Channel Islands National Park in Los Angeles, California. Information on the Channel Islands Marine Resource Restoration Committee; Photographs of the Islands' underwater plant and animals.
- The Potential Impact of Labor Choices on the Efficacy of Marine Conservation Strategies. Hughes, Zachary D.; Fenichel, Eli P.; Gerber, Leah R. // PLoS ONE;2011, Vol. 6 Issue 8, p1
Conservation of marine resources is critical to the wellbeing of human communities. Coastal artisanal fishing communities are particularly reliant on marine resources for food and for their livelihoods. Management actions aimed at marine conservation may lead to unanticipated changes in human...
- THE NAKED â€” APE CRISIS. Ellis, H. F. // New Yorker;3/23/1968, Vol. 44 Issue 5, p129
The article talks about the differences between man and beast. It discusses recent writings including the works of Niko Tinbergen, Robert Ardrey's book about zoomorphism, and "The Naked Ape," by Desmond Morris. The article also discusses the need to study human behavior that must be undertaken...
- Fisheries and Marine Animal Populations: Learning from the Long Term. Starkey, David J.; Smith, Tim D.; Barnard, Michaela // PLoS ONE;2011, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p1
The article offers information on the History of Marine Animal Populations (HMAP) project, the aim of which is to improve the knowledge and understanding of the interaction of humankind with the marine environment. It discusses the need for a perspective on the long-term interaction of human and...
- LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT. // Sarasota Magazine;Dec2011, Vol. 34 Issue 3, special section p3
The article focuses on the need for the conservation and sustainable use of marine resources, and the role of the Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota, Florida in creating public interest in ocean resources. It discusses the efforts of Mote to study and conserve ocean species like sharks, sea...
- Pohnpei. T. S. // Sport Diver;Feb2008, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p75
The article features the Island of Pohnpei. The Micronesian island, located in a remote corner of the North Pacific between Hawaii and the Philippines, is known for its diverse marine environment. This mountainous volcanic island features several waterfalls, including Sawartik, Kepirohi and...
- Fish or famine. Spotts, Peter N. // Christian Science Monitor;9/6/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 198, p11
Discusses efforts to replenish marine populations off the coast of the United States, and the impact of the efforts on the fishing industry.