Drug testing for welfare
- Drug testing proposed before corporate payouts. Lyons, Patrick // Michigan Citizen;5/6/2012, Vol. 34 Issue 26, pA5
The article reports on the introduction of a bill by Congressman Tom McMillin which require social welfare recipients to pass a drug test to be eligible for assistance in Michigan.
- LEGISLATORS TO WATCH. // Texas Observer: A Journal of Free Voices;Jan2013, Vol. 105 Issue 1, p24
The article features several Texas legislators to watch. The legislators include Senator Tommy Williams who is known for his support for a bill that would drug test those seeking welfare and unemployment benefits, Senator Wendy Davis who defended reproductive rights and opposed the hike on...
- Public Assistance, Drug Testing, and the Law: The Limits of Population-Based Legal Analysis. Player, Candice T. // American Journal of Law & Medicine;2014, Vol. 40 Issue 1, p26
In Populations, Public Health and the Law, legal scholar Wendy Parmet urges courts to embrace population-based legal analysis, a public health inspired approach to legal reasoning. Parmet contends that population-based legal analysis offers a way to analyze legal issuesâ€”not unlike law and...
- OTHER VOICES. // Modern Healthcare;5/16/2011, Vol. 41 Issue 20, p22
No abstract available.
- Drug Testing for Congressmen. Begala, Paul // Newsweek Global;3/15/2013, Vol. 161 Issue 11, p1
The article discusses a legislative bill that was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives by Tennessee Republican Stephen Fincher in 2013 which would require states to randomly drug-test 20 percent of their welfare recipients. The Environmental Working Group organization claims that...
- Michigan looks ahead to federal reform. Miller, Gerald H. // Public Welfare;Spring96, Vol. 54 Issue 2, p10
Reports on the planned implementation of welfare reform in the state of Michigan. Change of the Michigan Department of Social Services to Family Independence Agency and the Aid to Families with Dependent Children to Family Independence Program; Focus on the protection of children from abuse and...
- Welfare Reform: Doing Well, Trying to Do Better. Tweedie, Jack // State Legislatures;Jan2003, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p28
Focuses on welfare reform legislation in the U.S. Plan of Arkansas legislators regarding welfare reform in the state; Information on the decline in the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families spending in Mississippi; Details on the increase in welfare caseloads.
- Welfare-reform bills heat up privatization issue. Markley, Jennifer // Inside Tucson Business;03/24/97, Vol. 6 Issue 52, p19
Reports on two welfare-reform bills in state legislature to radically change Arizona's welfare system. Expansion of the cash-assistance program; Representations of the bill on the attempt to revamp the state's welfare system; Goal of moving more recipients into jobs; Provision of limited...
- Reporting new hires voluntary until 1998. // South Carolina Business Journal;Feb97, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p10
Reports on the introduction of the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act of 1996 requiring all states to create a mandatory new hire reporting program. Aim of facilitating collection of child support and detecting fraud in the receipt of unemployment benefits.