Access to justice for women still a "hollow promise," UN Women reports
- Equality at the Legislature. KNUTH, KATE // Minnesota Women's Press;May2011, Vol. 27 Issue 5, p22
The author reflects on achieving equality for women. She believes that achieving equality requires focused work to create opportunities for women and reduce barriers to equality. An overview of budget proposals in the Minnesota government which concern women's equality is offered. The author...
- When saying 'no' empowers. // Asian Pacific Post;7/3/2014, p16
The article highlights several cases of gender oppression in India that led to the formation of women activists' group Gulabi Gang, which includes Sampat Pal's battle against her mother-in-law's stern instruction against her eating before everyone else and sexual abuse fight of transgender...
- INTRODUCTION: MAKING HISTORY. Batlan, Felice // Chicago-Kent Law Review;2012, Vol. 87 Issue 2, p335
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including women's legal history, women's reproductive rights, and abortion law.
- United Nations Special Rapporteur on Violence Against Women Visits Afghanistan. // Women's International Network News;Autumn99, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p6
Reports that the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Violence Against Women has criticized the Taliban regime in Afghanistan. Policy towards women; Punishment for women violators; Concerns about the forced separation of women from their husbands.
- Working Within. Flor, Patricia // UN Chronicle;1998, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p42
Examines United Nations' efforts to promote the status of women. Factor which is regarded as a primary prerequisite for gender equality; Impact of socially constructed gender roles on women and girls; Efforts to redefine women's place and status in society on the basis of equality with men.
- WOMEN'S HUMAN RIGHTS AND THE CONVERSATION ACROSS CULTURES. Andrews, Penelope // Albany Law Review;2003, Vol. 67 Issue 2, p609
Examines the vision of women's rights and equality as outlined in the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW). Vignettes which underscore the issue of culture in various contexts; Public and private sphered of gender inequality; Premise of the legal...
- Legal Discriminations Against Women Existing in the U.S. Today. Matthews, Burnita Shelton // Congressional Digest;Mar1924, Vol. 3 Issue 6, p195
This article highlights the legal discriminations against woman existing in the U.S. The father is the sole natural guardian of minor children in Alabama, Rhode Island and several other states. In Texas, a husband is entitled to divorce his wife for a single act of infidelity on her part, but a...
- A better political environment though better representation. Charalambous, Sotiroula // Parliamentarian;2007 Supplement, Vol. 88, p11
The article discusses equal representation and participation for women in Cypriot politics. The author suggests that changes in legislation, political standards, economics, and perception will be required to achieve satisfactory participation by women in the Cypriot political system....
- WOMEN'S EDUCATION, EMPLOYMENT AND UNEMPLOYMENT IN IRAN. Iravani, Mohammad Reza // Rajagiri Journal of Social Development;Jun2010, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p31
This paper discusses the issue of gender inequality in education and employment/ unemployment in Iran against the background of the Islamic Revolution of 1979 in the country. Traditionally girls and women in Iran have been in a disadvantageous position with reference to education and employment...