Photographing a Spring Ritual
- Drummer Boy. Greij, Eldon // Birder's World;Apr2005, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p58
Focuses on the courtship behavior of grouses. Importance of the vocal organ syrinx of birds; Information on the wing drumming by male ruffed grouses to attract mates; Method used by spruce grouses to attract females.
- The ruffed grouse. Fischer, Richard B. // Conservationist;Dec94, Vol. 49 Issue 3, p2
Describes the ruffed grouse. Physical characteristics; Protection against predators; Habitat; Excerpts from the book `The Ruffed Grouse,' by Frank Edminster.
- Not So Ruff. Galea, Steve // Ontario Out of Doors;Fishing Annual 2012, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p20
The article reports the Ruffed Grouse Society (RGS) of Canada has proposed ruffed grouse as the national bird of Canada.
- Ruffed grouse. // Highlights for Children;Jan95, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p39
Offers facts about the ruffed grouse. How grouse make a `drumming' sound; Why they make it; What they eat; How to try to imitate the grouse's sound.
- Spring Drumming Patterns of Ruffed Grouse Archibald, Herbert L. // Auk (American Ornithologists Union);Oct1976, Vol. 93 Issue 4, p808
No abstract available.
- The natal dispersal of ruffed grouse Rusch, Donald H.; Small, Robert J. // Auk (American Ornithologists Union);Jan1989, Vol. 106 Issue 1, p72
No abstract available.
- Raising and monitoring tame raffe grouse (Bonasa umbellus)... Sharpe, Peter B.; Woolf, Alan; Roby, Daniel D. // American Midland Naturalist;Jan98, Vol. 139 Issue 1, p39
Presents an evaluation of two techniques used to raise and monitor tame ruffed grouse up to 1.5 years of age, released into the wild. Study area; Methods utilized on the study; Tame ruffed grouse released and successfully observed in Union County, Illinois from February 1990-March 1991; Results...
- Nature's drummer. Faccio, S.D. // Country Journal;Mar/Apr90, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p58
Describes the drumming ritual of the ruffed grouse, observed by the author, and the memories it evoked in the author that compared the grouse's mating ritual sounds to a helicopter. INSET: Habits & habitat of the ruffed grouse..
- The two-legged bird dog. Barrett, Peter // Field & Stream;Sep94, Vol. 99 Issue 5, p62
Focuses on the advantages of hunting ruffed grouse without a bird dog. Hunter as explorer; Importance of intense awareness of grouse cover; Author's experience while pioneering a cover.