Northern and Southern Leopard Frogs
- Fall Breeding of the Southern Leopard Frog (Rana sphenocephala) in Northeastern Arkansas. McCallum, Malcolm L.; Trauth, Stanley E.; Mary, Michelle N.; McDowell, Charles; Wheeler, Benjamin A. // Southeastern Naturalist;2004, Vol. 3 Issue 3, p401
Our study appears to represent the western-most report of autumn breeding within this species' range, the first report of potential environmental cues stimulating the occurrence of fall breeding, and the first examination of egg clutches and spermatogenesis from fall breeding populations. We...
- Efficient induction of spawning of Northern leopard frogs (Lithobates pipiens) during and outside the natural breeding season. Trudeau, Vance L.; Schueler, Frederick W.; Navarro-Martin, Laia; Hamilton, Christine K.; Bulaeva, Elizabeth; Bennett, Amanda; Fletcher, William; Taylor, Lisa // Reproductive Biology & Endocrinology;2013, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p1
Background: Amphibian declines are now recognized globally. It is also well known that many anurans do not reproduce easily in captivity, especially when held over long periods, or if they require hibernation before breeding. A simple method to induce spawning and subsequent development of large...
- Water Frogs in Danger. Goldish, Meish // Amazing Water Frogs;2010, p22
The article highlights the two kinds of endangered water frogs, the western leopard frog and the lake Titicaca frog.
- Radioactive frogs. Abrams, P.A. // Nature;8/8/1991, Vol. 352 Issue 6335, p464
Reveals that scores of leopard frogs bred at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Tennessee have started to migrate from two ponds that used to store liquid radioactive waste in the 1940s and 1950s. Some of the frogs have been found to be contaminated and others are being tested.
- Variation in the Incidence of Renal Adenocarcinoma Among Rana pipiens Held under Tumor-promoting Conditions Gorham, Eville; McKinnell, Robert G.; Binger, Dean G. // American Midland Naturalist;Jul1982, Vol. 108 Issue 1, p111
No abstract available.
- Big-City Frogs. Bookbinder, Kathleen // Highlights;Nov2014, Vol. 69 Issue 11, p32
The article offers information on the southern leopard frog that was discovered by scientist Jeremy Feinberg in New York City.
- Herbicides: Feminization of male frogs in the wild. Hayes, Tyrone; Haston, Kelly; Tsui, Mable; Hoang, Anhthu; Haeffele, Cathryn; Vonk, Aaron // Nature;10/31/2002, Vol. 419 Issue 6910, p895
Atrazine is the most commonly used herbicide in the United States and probably in the world. Here we investigate the effects of exposure to water-borne atrazine contamination on wild leopard frogs (Rana pipiens) in different regions of the United States and find that 10â€“92% of males show...
- FROGS TEST THE WATERS. // South Dakota Magazine;Mar/Apr2013, Vol. 28 Issue 6, p95
This article focuses on northern leopard frogs located in the Black Hills in South Dakota.
- 'NEW' OR JUST EVOLVED? Richmond, Cedric // Biologist;Apr/May2015, Vol. 62 Issue 2, p45
The article offers the author's insights regarding the discovery of the Atlantic Coast leopard frog and the continuous evolution of animal species to assure their survival.