Halls of Fir and Ivy
- The Upcountry Under One Roof. // Sandlapper: The Magazine of South Carolina;Winter2007/2008, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p80
The article reports on the opening of the Upcountry History Museum in Greenville, South Carolina. According to the author, the levels of exhibit space show interactive displays and architectural replicas of important buildings. The museum also has interactive computers that allow visitors to...
- French museum `in decay' fights for its life. Butler, Declan // Nature;1/30/1997, Vol. 385 Issue 6615, p378
Describes the poor condition of France's National Museum of Natural History in Paris as of January 1997. The warnings issued in a report by the CNE, an independent advisory committee; The government's action to assess the museum's needs; The origin of the museum's problems.
- MOKUM IS HOME: AMSTERDAM'S JEWISH HISTORICAL MUSEUM. Ostow, Robin // European Judaism;Autumn2005, Vol. 38 Issue 2, p43
Discusses the history of the Jewish Historical Museum in Amsterdam, Netherlands. Significance of the museum; Basis of the opening of the museum in 1895; Overview of special exhibits mounted in the museum.
- HISTORY AND SCIENCE MUSEUMS. // New York;9/19/2005, Vol. 38 Issue 32, p92
Presents a list of history and science museums in New York City.
- The Musaeum of Alexandria and the formation of the Museum in eighteenth-century France. Lee, Paula Young // Art Bulletin;Sep97, Vol. 79 Issue 3, p385
Traces the origins of museums in the eighteenth-century in revolutionary France. Etymological connections between the Musaeum of Alexandria and the concept of museum; Emergence of museum as a building type in French architectural competition projects in the last three decades of the eighteenth...
- The Road Less Travelled. Tate, Nicholas // History Today;Apr99, Vol. 49 Issue 4, p62
Recounts how a museum sparked a childhood interest in history. Discussion on the heritage of a Victorian house; Information on the Tolson Memorial Museum; Interest in prehistory; Interest in Romans.
- Editorial. // Jerusalem Quarterly;Autumn2013, Issue 55, p3
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various articles within the issue on topics including the first museum of antiquities in Jerusalem, history of the Citadel or Qal'a of Jerusalem, and development of museums in Palestine.
- British Museum (Natural History). Swinton, William E. // Natural History;Jan81, Vol. 90 Issue 1, p38
Discusses the history of the Natural History Museum in London, England. Educational and scientific functions of the museum; Founding of the museum and its parent, the British Museum, by an Act of Parliament in 1753; Fellows of the Royal Society who were keepers of the museum; Expansion and...
- Cultural geographies in practice, Safari in Kansas: around the world with Mr and Mrs Johnson. Caminero-Santangelo, B.; Myers, G.A. // ECUMENE;Oct2001, Vol. 8 Issue 4, p493
The tiny town of Chanute, Kansas, two hours south of Kansas City, is home to the Martin and Osa Johnson Safari Museum. Two years ago, we were on a weeklong bus tour of Kansas strongly suggested for new faculty at the University of Kansas. The tour spent an hour inside the safari museum, which...